Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Help with Shower Drain repair
Author: jayrod57 (CA)

my earlier related posting: [www.plbg.com]

See photos -->> [drive.google.com]

Question is: Should I place silicone sealant at the bottom of the shower drain well (metal portion) -- to fill in the holes at the bottom of the well -- before I insert the new shower drain gasket (grey in color with ribbed surfaces), in order to prevent any leakage?

The shower drain well actually is has a bowl-like form with a small metal lip underneath the shower drain gasket. In removing the old seal, thinking I would hit AIR below the bottom of shower gasket, I used a small diameter drill bit (OUCH!) and I tried to carefully drill into the rubber so as not to damage the metal wall or the drain pipe.

Regrettably, I drilled a bit too far and drilled small holes in the bottom of the shower drain well, but fortunately did not damage the metal wall of the shower drain or the drain pipe.

Should water get past the watertight seam (hopefully not) between the sides of the shower drain seal, drain pipe and the metal shower drain, then obviously I am concerned that I opened a path for water to leak in but not sure that it's something I can overcome.

So repeating my question: Should I place silicone sealant -- or something else -- at the bottom of the shower drain well (metal portion) -- to fill in the holes at the bottom of the well -- before I insert the new shower drain gasket (grey in color with ribbed surfaces), in order to prevent any leakage?

Edited 3 times.

Re: Help with Shower Drain repair
Author: packy (MA)

personally, i would not use silicone caulk. as i said before, you don't want to rely on the caulking to make the seal in that application.
if that is the correct gasket then a touch of silicone grease to make it more slippery and force it in any way you can. it will seal and no water will get to the bottom where you made a tiny hole.
if the pipe sticks up higher than the gasket when you are done, a bead of silicone on top won't hurt a thing. it is meant to keep water from standing in that top space.

Ok. I wanted to update you on my mistake and hoping I did not make it worse. I was thinking what you had said earlier with the silicone grease being enough, but I guess I was overthinking it and wanted to get a conscience check from you before I insert the new seal in place. BTW, that fernco seal, according to their website is designed to fit that make/model of my shower drain.

Thanks, now off to get some silicone grease and finish this repair!!

silicone grease is great stuff. i put a toucn of it on the end of a key (auto and home) to keep the innards working. it is not hygroscopic so it works wonders.
good luck on your project..

I was surprise that Silicone grease was so hard to find even in the big box stores. The only silicone grease I could find was in an industrial hardware store and it was food grade silicone grease that is used on refrigerators, freezers and the like where food grade is required. I could have ordered it online at Amazon but I didn't want to wait 2-3 days for it to arrive. I will look at other uses for this silicone grease like you suggest.

Deleted.

Edited 1 times.

Thank You! Thank You! smileys with beer

see photos ==>> [drive.google.com]

I completed the project today. You can see the new seal installed, and I placed a small bead of silicone sealant at the top to reduce standing water as you suggested.

Thank You! Thank You! I can't say enough thanks for your help. I was unable to find anyone who could help with the drain design and construction, and most said to cut this and cut out that. You saved me not only $$$ but kept a simple repair from becoming a demolition project.

Thanks for this forum and thanks for all you do to help the average joe save a few bucks if willing to do the work!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.