Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 1970s era shower enclosure: Need help with repair to shower drain
Author: jayrod57 (CA)

see images ===> [drive.google.com]

The shower drain is leaking on my shower enclosure in a home built in the 1970's. Under the shower drain cover was a ring of white caulking that is no longer adhering. I cleaned up the opening for the subsequent photos.

I could put a sealant on it again, but concerned that it may leak again so I am considering replacing the shower drain.

I'd prefer to replace the shower drain -- without tearing out or damaging the fiberglass enclosure -- but I do not understand the configuration or or design as it does not look like shower drain assemblies made today.

From the photos, looking outside inward, one can see the outer metal ring (brass or ??), followed by what appears to be a ABS/PVC black ring, then the shower draining piping in which the edging has been damaged.

The shower enclosure is on the second floor and there is no direct access to a flange ring (or whatever assuming there is such a piece) that is holding the shower drain in place.

Not sure the best way to get the shower drain out, but thought I would hacksaw or cut through the metal ring along the inner circular portion of the ring to separate it from the middle black ring. I'm hoping the shower drain would then drop down out of the way along the drain pipling. Then I can install a shower drain designed to be installed from top.

I would appreciate any help.

Edited 1 times.

Re: 1970s era shower enclosure: Need help with repair to shower drain
Author: packy (MA)

that appears to be a rubber 'donut' gasket sealing the space between the pipe and the drain body. image 5 shows a crack in the rubber (down at 7 o-clock)that is what is leaking. if you can find the correct rubber 'donut' all you need do is pry out the damaged rubber and force a new one into place.
here is an example of what you need...
[www.fernco.com]

new pics [drive.google.com]

See the photos above. That info was good progress.

I did notice that notch at 7 o'clock and I took your advice and pryed out the ring which was only about 3/8" high and not as high in the picture you sent about the fenco shower drain connector.

I am not sure what is or is supposed to be under that shower drain connector but I scrape away some of it. From the photos, you can see that I clear away some of it but stopped in case I should not be scraping it away.

So what is my next steps?

Do I continue scraping away the material between the drain pipe and the metal ring? or do I fill the void with a sealant and then re-install the ring connector or a new one?

you need to clean everything out of that space in the drain. clean it really well and find the correct rubber donut. the seal will be made by compressing the rubber ribs on the donuts as it is forced down. a tiny bit of grease will make it slide in better. you do not want to rely on a caulking to create a seal. it will fail much sooner then the rubber will.
if you have to get a taller rubber donut thats ok. cut it off leaving it just a touch too long.

Thank you very much applause

Any kind of grease that will help the connector rubber seal/gasket to slide down in place? or a particular grease?

I've been clearing out the space between the drain pipe and the shower drain opening and the material seems to be the old rubber connector. I thought it was just dirt and grime. I will continue to dig out that rubber and assume that I will eventually hit AIR, the space below the enclosure, so I will keep at it and clean it good as you suggested.

BTW, the rubber seal you reference in your first reply, is actually the one the fits my shower drain which is a Casper-Model 101 BR -- I looked closely at the fading metal stamped letters on the shower drain metal ring -- so great call!!

Just wanted to update you and ask those questions, but more importantly is to say thank you very much for sharing your insights to make this repair. I will make an update when completed or should I have additional questions?

Edited 2 times.

once you get all the rubber cleaned out you will hit air (as you said). but the good news is that the metal part of the shower drain tapers at the bottom. this keeps the rubber from sliding down too far.
about any kind of grease will work. silicone grease is very slippery and will do no harm to the rubber.
easy does it and you will have a seal that will last until it is time to replace the whole shower.
BTW, the seal that i posted a link to that happens to be the correct one was just a bit of luck.
speaking of luck.... good luck with the project..

see pictures here ==>> [drive.google.com]

I thought of also checking the shower water on-off valve and notice the mineral buildup on the left union of the three way valve.

Is this just moisture build up? or does this indicate a leak?

Should I just clean up that union joint to remove the deposits? or should I break the connection and reseal with white tape? or should I replace that three way valve?

Thanks

that appears to be on the outlet side of that valve. if so, what little backpressure is there is not constant like the hot and cold. i think i would just leave it alone.

See photos -->> [drive.google.com]

Question is: Should I place silicone sealant at the bottom of the shower drain well (metal portion) -- to fill in the holes at the bottom of the well -- before I insert the new shower drain gasket (grey in color with ribbed surfaces), in order to prevent any leakage?

The shower drain well actually is has a bowl-like form with a small metal lip underneath the shower drain gasket. In removing the old seal, thinking I would hit AIR below the bottom of shower gasket, I used a small diameter drill bit (OUCH!) and I tried to carefully drill into the rubber so as not to damage the metal wall or the drain pipe.

Regrettably, I drilled a bit too far and drilled small holes in the bottom of the shower drain well, but fortunately did not damage the metal wall of the shower drain or the drain pipe.

Should water get past the watertight seam (hopefully not) between the sides of the shower drain seal, drain pipe and the metal shower drain, then obviously I am concerned that I opened a path for water to leak in but not sure that it's something I can overcome.

So repeating my question: Should I place silicone sealant -- or something else -- at the bottom of the shower drain well (metal portion) -- to fill in the holes at the bottom of the well -- before I insert the new shower drain gasket (grey in color with ribbed surfaces), in order to prevent any leakage?

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.