Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Two dishwashers, one garbage disposal with a backflow issue
Author: David Borrero (NY)

Hello, So I have a dispute I have to settle. I am an appliance technician. I have an issue in a building where they have two dishwashers hooked up to a Y connection to the dishwasher. No high loop and no air gap. The plumbers and the superintendent insist the problem is with the dishwasher. They say this because in the other apartments this is not happening. The issue arises in this apartment because the customer uses only one dishwasher, after a few days the other dishwasher fills with enough water to almost over flow. I work in NYC. I know that I am not a plumber so my knowledge is too limited to say with certainty that this is wrong. so here are my questions.

What would be the correct way to connect these drain lines to a single sink with a garbage disposal?
Is that Y connector acceptable?
Is the plumber wrong in assuming the dishwasher's non return valve should be able to hold back drain water from filling the dishwasher no matter how this is plumbed?

[imgur.com]

Re: Two dishwashers, one garbage disposal with a backflow issue
Author: packy (MA)

high loop the drain hoses.

So having it connected with that Y connector in the image is ok otherwise?

Author: Pipe runner (AZ)

from the pic it look like there is no trap?

There is a trap after the connector coming out of the garbage disposal its at an angle I didn't get in the picture.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Have you removed the drain hose from the pump of the dishwasher that's being filled ? I agree with them that the internal check valve should keep that from happening. That being said, if you high loop the hoses and check for any obstructions just downstream of that copper tee it should work ok.

Author: hj (AZ)

If you hae two sinks, hook one to the disposer and the other to a dishwasher branch tailpiece. The discharge pressure will always force water into the other machine.

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

At a minimum, high loop and swap hose locations on that (not really a wye) wye. Better to high loop and install a DW drain wye.

Yeah unfortunately they only have one sink.

would you attach that to the garbage disposal? or does it need to be connected elsewhere?

Author: steve (CA)

Disposal.

Thanks, btw isnt that WYE for drawer dishwashers? Also if there was a restriction at the garbage disposal because of debris wouldn't that put back pressure on the dishwasher that wasn't draining and cause water to migrate into the other dishwasher?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

use the DW drain 'Y'

AND

'hi loop' the discharge lines

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.