Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 What do you think the chances are these gate valves will work?
Author: kingshakabobo (IL)

They haven't been touched in 20 plus years.

What do you think the chances are they will

A.) shut the water off enough to re-work that cold line in copper back to the bigger gate valve in the corner. Currently the cold goes left to sink and shower all galvanized except for the copper take off for the toilet (including a big hammer/air chamber)

B.) shut the hot water off (small red handled gate valve) enough to sweat in new shower and sink supplies. Or worst case add a shark bite or compression ball valves if I get it down to a dribble. Those two verticle galvanized pipes are both hot (recirculating system) . Somebody tapped in to re-run the hot supplies in copper.

Or blow up in my face like some bad three stooges skit?

Before that cold line makes the turn, there appears to be some other shut off.

Edited 1 times.

Re: What do you think the chances are these gate valves will work?
Author: NoHub (MA)

Somewhere between slim & none, at the very least the packing is going to give you a problem.I hope your going to replace that old brass while the walls open.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Mr. Murphy says they won't work, so plan accordingly.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

They might restrict the water a bit, but shut it off so you can solder downstream of them, no.

Maybe get a shark bite in or a compression?

I'm planning on testing it by shutting the valves and checking the angle stops. Hopefully I won't spring a leak at the valves themselves. I plan on doing it when we can call a plumber if need bee.

Where do you see brass? The verticals on the right? That would make sense. I thought they were copper when we opened the wall until I saw the fittings. Then I thought galvanized. I need to hit them with sandpaper to get a better look.

I haven't been too focused on the supply lines as I've been dealing with the floor build and the tub/toilet drains.

This is my buddy's place. I'm helping him.

Replacing everything would require involving the two neighbors above on the second and third floor. The plan right now is to get as much new in there for now and let the building coordinate later as a building project when need be. If this were a single family I would do it in a heartbeat.

The second floor just remodeled their bath above as part of the same damage from the third floor hoarder. I get to see some of the stuff they did plus all the debris they left in the floor that ended up on our heads.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

One tangible option, could be a Jomar- Add A Value.
Best Wishes.

Author: hj (AZ)

It depends on the quality of the valve. There is NO WAY to tell by looking at a valve whether the inside is going to break or stick. All you can do is try them. If they work, or do not, you have your answer, but there is no "down side" for trying them.

Edited 1 times.

Is that nub to the right of the bigger left gate valve also a valve?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.