Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Could I be a plumber?
Author: masterofnone (VA)

I am considering a big career change and am considering becoming a plumber. I am a hard-working, relatively intelligent over-educated man (BS in business and post grad work too) nearing my 57th birthday. I am people and service oriented but since I am no spring chick should I go into another trade? I am in great shape and can work as hard as most thirty somethings. I have rebuilt an entire house's plumbing system in copper and I just replaced every supply line in my current home in CPVC. I have replaced several water heaters (gas and electric), installed a well pressure tank, installed numerous toilets, dishwashers, garbage disposers, drain systems for remodel projects, moved and installed bathroom sinks, showers and bathtubs. So I come to the trade with some practical experience. My theory is that becoming a master plumber is possible after five or so years and then I can open my own small plumbing business which I can manage into my late years. Please tell me if there is something about plumbing that would make it inappropriate as a trade for me to learn. This is a big decision for me and I need to get it right this time.
I don't need to make a lot of money right now as my home is paid off and my wife brings home some money since she took early retirement from a high paying job. If you are a plumber, please give me your valuable opinion.
Thanks,
Mark

Re: Could I be a plumber?
Author: Plumberpalmer (MA)

I don't know about the other plumbers on here but I've been plumbing for 23 years and my body has taking a toll from it. I'm only 43 and have been thinking more and more about becoming a project manager due to the toll on my body. So if you do decide to be a plumber in my state it 5 years of school before you can work on your own. At the age of 57 are you prepare to be working under someone half you age till you get licensed ?

Author: Paul48 (CT)

I'm not a plumber, but my story is similar to yours as far as plumbing work. My body is shot from fixing machinery all my life. I'll be 57 in September. If I were in your position, I'd be looking for something that allowed me to be my own boss, from day one. A couple things that have intrigued me can be found on YouTube. I don't know whether these would be something you might be interested in, but who knows. Search....Paint-less Dent Repair and ScannerDanner.

Author: m & m (MD)

It's heartening to read your post and sense your drive/ambition. Most guys your age would be looking at your situation a whole lot differently. I've been in the trade for 37 yrs. and still pound out a working 9-1/2 hr day but it's honestly getting tougher. I'm a non-drinker/non-smoker and that's in my favor but the body just starts resisting the daily demands on it. Small pains are nagging and the joints don't flex like you want them to. I'm not sure how much longer I'll stay in the trenches but for the immediate outlook, I have no reason to hang it up. Can you start from scratch and do this? Your one paragraph indicates you have the determination and grit. If you make it your goal to get that master license as soon as your state allows, and thereafter start to manage others and the business you can probably tough it out and make a go of it. Is your wife on board with your plans?

Author: sum (FL)

I am not a plumber but from my reading the forum over the years you have different types of plumbers some work on new construction exclusively installing new improvements where the nature of the work may be more predictable in that you may be roughing in pipes at a place for a week and you know what you are up against and you deal with building inspectors. On the other hand if you do the service route you are not going to know what you are up against each time, and it may be hauling a big heavy snake up to the roof to snake a pipe in the morning to dealing with a flooded basement the next...you may think its a simple wax ring and toilet install and next thing you know you are holding a 50# sledge hammer breaking concrete, with home owners or tenants screaming at you because they can't use the faucet or toilet while you fix things. I would think the service plumbing side is much more stressful and taxing, and probably rely on past experiences a lot more having dealt with unique situations for a long time and able to draw on those experiences.

Just my thoughts but not a plumber here.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Consider, checking into the law, regulations and requirements for plumbers and to be a plumber, in YOUR State. Once you know, you will also know of your many options.

Best Wishes

Thanks everyone. It has been very helpful. thumbs
Author: masterofnone (VA)

Thank you everyone for your responses. It appears that plumbing is more physically demanding than some other trades. My son suggested becoming an electrician. (he is in the HVAC trade) I am confident that I can get through the classroom or academic side of becoming a journeyman electrician and maybe it is more appropriate for me. Service plumbing calls sound like really hard duty. I have kept myself fit but age does take its toll. I am an elementary school teacher now but I have committed to get out of that. My wife is very supportive of my move to the trades and believes that I can run a small trade business (like maybe electrical work) since I have been running a very small business for 15 years on the side. Again, thank you for your input. It has been very helpful.

Edited 3 times.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I've got one for you, a home inspector. Alot depends upon the housing market in your area, but the inspectors in my area stay busy and make quite a bit of money. It's not a very physically demanding job but you would probably enjoy it. You would need to take some classes and get certified.

Author: sum (FL)

Another one is to be an insurance adjuster or construction estimator.

I have seen companies that do more than one. In other words, I know a guy who is subcontracted by big insurance companies to provide repair estimates to them in certain locales down here, but he is also a home inspector.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.