Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 What is considered plumbing,"all new plumbing"
Author: mokishana (UT)

I bought a home which said it had all new plumbing in the listing from a guy who flips houses. Three weeks later, I found out an interior, cement-encased pipe was broken, slab leak. It cost over 10k to replace the pipe and repair the basement which had been flooded. I took the previous owner to small claims court. the judge ruled in his favor because new plumbing means any pipe that is less than 2 inches in diameter. the pipe that broke was over 2 inches in diameter; thus, according to the judge, it did not have to be replaced to claim that the house had new plumbing.

Edited 1 times.

Re: What is considered plumbing,"all new plumbing"
Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

I doubt it matters what anyone other than the judge thinks, his ruling is not going to get changed by internet opinion. But if someone says "all" that would imply to me "everything". But if you think about it, the home has a buried water line from the meter to the house, I doubt anyone would replace it unless it had a problem. Likewise, there is a buried sewer line from the house out to the street sewer main, no one is going to replace that entire sewer line unless it has a big problem.

So when they said "all plumbing" they probably meant all the reasonably accessible pipes inside the home.

Was this 2 inch pipe that broke a drain line, or maybe a pressurized water supply line from a well?

Edited 1 times.

Thanks. I do have sewage insurance for 10K coverage, but they won't pay for anything in the interior of the home.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

So this broken 2" pipe is a drain line (that would be very big for a pressurized water supply line). If it is a drain line did the leak go unnoticed for a while to cause all the flooding, unless it was for something like a washing machine?

The pipe that broke was the line that took the sewage out. It was still in the interior of the home. It broke less than three weeks after I had bought the house, so i have no idea if it leaked before, and I could not prove in court that it leaked before.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

That must be some kind of "local interpretation" because I have never heard of it before. But, given that flippers are NOT concerned about "long term, quality" repairs, i would never rely on their definition of "all new plumbing" in the first place.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.