Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 found a small leak from my furnace?
Author: robear (NH)

Hello all, I have a 10 year old furnace that supplies my hot water on demand, it was serviced last fall. Now it is leaking water on the floor. It looked like a lot until I put a bowl under my best guess of the leak. Now I see it's about a 1/8 of a cup in 24 hrs. It's coming from a spicket, yet I can't feel any dampness from it.
How do I find out where it's coming from & If I can tighten it?
In the image you can see the spicket over a bowl with red lines showing the only areas possible.
Thanks smiling smiley

Edited 1 times.

Re: found a small leak from my furnace?
Author: m & m (MD)

That is a boiler drain (hose bib) and the leak is probably coming from the interior portion or valve outlet.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Put a brass hose bibb cap on it. If the valve is leaking, that'll take care of it. Oh.........It's a boiler. Furnaces blow hot air.

Author: packy (MA)

if the drip is from the hose threads, you can screw on a hose cap.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Or you could try turning the handle another 1/8 turn or so, that might stop the drip if not a hose thread cap will work.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

What's involved with just removing that boiler drain valve (spigot) and replacing it with a new valve, maybe one that doesn't use compression to seal, like install a ball valve? Would the boiler have to be drained? These type valves can leak thru the valve stem or past a worn rubber washer.

replacing the valve is an option but requires draining, refilling and then removing all the air in the system..
lots of work when a simple screw on hose thread cap will solve the problem.

I see. I thought maybe if the boiler was turned off so the water would cool you could then remove the old drain valve and quickly insert and screw in a new valve without too much water coming out. I've done that on water heater drains and it wasn't too messy.

water heaters are different in that you just turn the water back on and the air will come out the faucets. a heating system you can't do that. you have to remove the air somehow and that 'somehow' depends on how the system was installed. also, sometimes you turn the water back on and the automatic fill valve (pressure regulator) doesn't co-operate and needs to be replaced.

thanks for that info, didn't know it was that more involved.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

It's about a 2 minute job to unscrew the boiler drain and screw a new one in, and about an hour to drain, refill and bleed the system.

Re: found a small leak from my furnace? smile
Author: robear (NH)

First, thank you everyone for your replies. I will try adding a cap to the spicket, and report back on my boiler leak smiling smiley

Edited 1 times.

Re: found a small leak from my furnace? smile
Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

What ever you decide to do remember that this hose bib has only one thread left to tighten up. Also if you go with a new Hose Bib just wrap 3 or 4 wraps of Teflon and then use some Pipe Dope over the Teflon and tighten it until it feels right. Hopefully it will have more than one thread left to tighten if you have to do that.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.