Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 New Water Service Tap: Do I need 1" or 3/4"
Author: BridgettLeah (GA)

Switching from well to public water authority, so there is no water meter yet. It should be noted I wash 3 commercial sized loads of laundry - minimum - daily, there are 2 showers on average daily, there are minimum 2 loads dishwasher. Do I need the larger tap? What more in terms of flow can just 1/4" provide?

Re: New Water Service Tap: Do I need 1" or 3/4"
Author: packy (MA)

run 1 inch into the house..
i haven't seen a 3/4 water service in many, many years..

Author: hj (AZ)

1. How much and how many loads DAILY, is immaterial. All that matters, when it comes to the water line/meter size is how much water is being used AT ONE TIME.
2. And, even then the meter size usually does not matter as long as the pipe from it is the proper size. Therefore, for your purposes at this time, a 3/4" meter would be adequate.
3. If you wish to provide for future increased usage, then a 1" meter would be prudent, but would not give any benefits at this time, and possible cost more to install and maybe more monthly depending on your usage.

Edited 1 times.

Author: NoHub (MA)

1" for sure.Read some of the posts in hear,People would kill to have the option for a 1" service.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

Since you will only be filling one washing machine at a time it doesn't matter so much which size of the water supply line is from the meter, regardless of how many loads you do they are all done one at a time. But if you had several washing machines and they could be in use at the same time that would be different, since you could be running water into each one at the same time . That's what is important, how much water you might need to use at the same time.

Many homes still have the 3/4" water service lines, in them you can do as many loads of laundry and take as many showers throughout the day as you want because each one is done separately. So evaluate how much more the 1" line would cost you. But with it when you turn on a faucet your flow will not be that much different. If you think someone could be washing clothes at the same time someone is taking a shower and someone else is doing dishes then maybe all of the water use at the same time would justify the larger service line.

If the 1" water line is not much higher cost then it could be worth it for the extra volume during peak usage. Even though the pipe size is only 1/4" larger that works out to be quite a bit higher volume of water because the pipe is round. Going from 3/4" to 1" almost doubles the number of gallons the pipe will hold. (in a 10 ft pipe the volume increase goes from .23 gal to .41 gal)

Edited 7 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

In this area there are MANY "larger" homes with a 3/4" service and meter. They go to 1" when they will add an irrigation system in the future. or have a home fire protection system.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Definitely, One inch ID, not OD, depending on the material used to provide your new service.

Best Wishes

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

When sizing water lines you should always consider pressure, length of line, Amount of fixtures served and pipe size. Don't see any mention of pressure in this post. I also agree go larger for your may add to your system in the future, Low pressure systems can work better with larger pipe sizes if given the choice.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.