Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Second floor kitchen to second floor laundry room.
Author: Selfstarter (OH)

I'm converting a 2 family to a 1 family and making the old kitchen a laundry room. There is plumbing for a sink and dishwashing which I thought would be used for the washing machine. From what I have been told and have read here I could use a pan or I would need a different kind of drain installed. I can't imagine why the drains that already exist are not adequate for a washing machine. What makes a washing machine's run off different from a dishwashers? It is an electric unit. Thanks.

Re: Second floor kitchen to second floor laundry room.
Author: steve (CA)

A clothes washer uses a larger amount of water and it pumps the water out at a higher flow rate than a dishwasher. A pan is used as a safety device under the washer, in case of a leak. It's not used as a primary drain for normal operation.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

Washing machines can discharge 15-20 gallons PER MINUTE. A dishwasher won't do this, they contain much less water, so a smaller sink-type drain is fine for a dishwasher. You can get by with the smaller drain if you install a laundry sink and let the washing machine empty into it. Then the laundry sink can drain at its leisure into the smaller type of drain. Also, some laundry sinks are made with a pump so it can pump the water to a drain if there isn't one nearby for the laundry sink to connect directly to. If you have the room I'd think about getting a small laundry sink that is deep enough to hold the water from your washing machine. That way you can use the existing drain in that room.

If you do this I'd also put a lint filter/trap over the end of the washing machine discharge hose so it catches all the clothes fibers, you don't want that stuff going down the drain, especially when the drain is that size.

Edited 5 times.

Author: Selfstarter (OH)

Thanks, I am just in the planning stages and have a much better idea of what is needed from using this site. If I decide to extent the plumbing to an outside wall I may be able to drain a pan to the porch roof's gutter. The room is about 10 x 13 feet. I am trying to figure out if I can get a bathroom and laundry in there. Until I am ready to do a major remodel I thought i'd be able to set up the washer and dryer but I now realize it's a bit more complicated. I still have a washer and dryer in the basement which is fortunate. Thank you again for all the information.

Would the washing machine drain line going to the roof edge gutter freeze in winter time?

Author: packy (MA)

stuckinlodi .. i believe he is talking about the emergency drain from a pan under the WM draining out to the roof .

ok thanks, yeah that would normally be dry and not a freeze worry. I thought he was thinking about draining the upstairs laundry sink thru the wall and into the porch gutter. That's something I wouldn't be too surprised to find around here, but I don't suppose it would pass MA or OH code. big grin

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.