Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 low water pressure
Author: uggie (NC)

I am asking this for my son-in-law. They live in a new home, that is about 4 years old. It is connected to the city water system. The house has terribly low water pressure from the city. It is so low that a times that the shower won't work because the pressure isn't enough to hold the shower button in place on the faucet for the tub. We have looked at a "city water pressure booster" system to boost the pressure a bit. It doesn't appear that those will work because they require a 3/4 inch intake from the city water line. The water line coming into the house from the street is 1/2 inch flexible plastic. I was surprised to see that, but I saw it with my own eyes. My son-in-law is also concerned that increasing the pressure may burst the plastic lines.

Is there any kind of a system or tank or something we can consider to solve this problem?

Re: low water pressure
Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

I'm also surprised that a city municipal water system would use 1/2" pipe for the line coming to the house. Nowadays that seems rinky-dink and can hamper water flow to multiple things going on in the home. Where is this city? I'd think that everyone that lives there would be complaining. Makes me wonder about their fire hydrants for fighting fires.

You can get a pipe adapter that will take the 1/2" incoming pipe to any size you would need for the boost pump, such as 3/4" or 1". Some of the systems do come with a storage tank, it may be needed for his situation.

The house plastic pipes should be cpvc (light yellow color) and it is rated for water pressure up to about 600psi so that shouldn't be a problem. He will want to select a boost pump that puts out something like 60-70 psi water pressure for adequate showers and laundry flow.

There are lots of boost pump companies, here are a couple to get you started:

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

[us.grundfos.com]

Edited 6 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

If the incoming water line is too small, ANY pump may cavitate and destroy itself. A 1/2" PLASTIC water, by itself could reduce the pressure, and thus the volume, enough to cause his symptoms, regardless of the city's pressure.

Author: m & m (MD)

He may need to consider a system that allows the street water to fill an atmospheric 300 or 500 gallon tank first and then a booster system attached to that. It would allow him to use the existing 1/2" as is.

Thanks for your thoughts thumbs
Author: uggie (NC)

Just to answer your question about the city. It is just outside Angier, NC. A part of housing development with about 40 homes. I believe most everyone has a similar problem. As one the posts mentioned, with an incoming line of 1/2 inch our options are limited.

Thanks for your thoughts. After reading the posts I believe it makes sense to add a larger storage tank and add a booster system behind that connected to house water system. That is to run the city connection directly to a storage tank of at least 100 gallons. (we have to contend with physical size of the tank). Then connect the booster system to the tank so we don't have to worry about pump cavitation. From the booster system then to the house water system.

Thanks again.

Edited 1 times.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

For the tank you could use one or two water heater tanks, they are sometimes available cheap from a plumber that has replaced it for some reason other than a leak. Doesn't matter if it is gas or elec and they don't need to have working heat capability. Keep in mind that a long shower will drain the storage tank if isn't large enough.

Still surprised a city would do that 1/2" water service line, or allow the housing developer to do it. Other neighborhoods in that city may have larger water service lines. I thought maybe you were going to say it was a private community like a retirement village or senior care facility or mobile home park, etc. For a city to do that nowadays seems irresponsible to me. Hopefully the city council members and the mayor are having poor water pressure also.

Edited 3 times.

Author: m & m (MD)

I would recommend a poly tank made expressly for that purpose. It will come setup for the system with flooded suction, sanitary lid, etc. They are rectangular in design so that they will pass thru most residential doors- (32", 36"winking smiley but 100 gal. is on the low side. 300 gal. minimum.

Author: NoHub (MA)

Uggie,first thing is to go down to home depot and get a pressure gauge and connect it to the hose bib outside...check the pressure when nothings being used and also right after a toilet is flushed and filling with water....we need those numbers to offer the rite fix for this.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.