Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Homeowner Needs help fixing installer's code violation on generator (pic inside)
Author: enochian (PA)

Apparently the installer messed up by placing the regulator vent so close to the generator.

I want to insert 3/8" fittings and pipe at the red arrow and change the vent location.

However, I can't locate 3/8" fittings and pipe.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Homeowner Needs help fixing installer's code violation on generator (pic inside)
Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

How much distance is required for it to be from the generator?

Re: Homeowner Needs help fixing installer's code violation on generator (pic inside)

3 feet for Natural Gas.

2015 National Fuel Gas Code

5.8.5.1. Then go to number 3.

"The regulator vent shall terminate at least 3 ft (0.9 m) from a source of ignition."

Edited 3 times.

Author: packy (MA)

why can't you extend the pipe already attached to the vent port?
it is not 3/8 but more likely 3/4 inch.

Its smaller than 1/2".

I already tried a 1/2" male adapter.

May have to contact the gas company, it is their line and their pressure regulator, they should have the proper fittings.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Has an inspector told you that this was a violation? I have my doubts that it can be considered an ignition source, any more than an electrical outlet. Consider the intent of the code.

paul, it is considered a source of ignition.

Author: hj (AZ)

That is NOT the utilities regulator. It is the customer's high to low regulator, but the installer, if he was paid for the job, should come back and correct the violation, if it is actually an improper installation. (The vent COULD be 3' from the SOURCE of ignition. Especially, since the source is inside an enclosed cabinet.)

Edited 1 times.

the nipple and elbow at your red arrow appear to be the same size as the flexable connector which is 1/2 inch ??

Methinks he is "straining at a gnat". This appears to be a natural gas installation, and ANY venting will be lighter than air and go VERTICAL, and not horizontal, or try to get into the heater's casing so it can be ignited.

hj, i agree about the enclosed cabinet.. but the concern of the code is that someone removes the cover for whatever reason and doesn't put it back.
anyway, whats the big deal.. attach onto the existing vent overflow pipe and extend it a couple of feet.
around here they even allow sch 80 pvc for that overflow..

packy,

Its not 1/2".

Its probably 3/8", which is a standard vent size on these type of regulators.

The issue is that I have no idea where to get this type of pipe.

Instead of replacing the vent piping what about packy's idea of just adding to the existing short vent pipe and extending it as needed? It appears to be bigger than 3/8" at the end of the current vent pipe? See yellow line on photo below. If that vent pipe is 3/8" add a bushing to take it to whatever size you want. Unless the thread is special I don't understand the problem finding 3/8" pipe fittings, can't you use either black pipe or galvanized pipe fittings for the vent piping? Both are readily available in 3/8" size.

In your photo it looks like there is a cap on the end of the vent pipe, what is that last fitting on the end?

Edited 6 times.

you DON'T have to. Just get a 1/2 x 3/8 reducing coupling and then use your 1/2" pipe.

It is probably a down turned elbow to keep rainwater out of the regulator.

Can someone link me to the proper male reducing adapter 3/8" - 1/2" for natural gas?

just a guess but I think the suggestion is to get one of these female black pipe reducer couplings, remove the elbow fitting at the end of your regulator vent pipe, screw on this reducer coupling and then you can go 1/2" the rest of the way.

But as you can see at this link below (hopefully) there are plenty of 3/8" black pipe fittings for you to extend the pipe vent at the 3/8" size. Leave the existing vent pipe on there, just remove the final elbow fitting and go from there. These fittings are available at Lowe's, Home Depot and my local store Menards.

Are you not able to find black pipe fittings in 3/8" size? In your photo the vent pipe looks like galvanized fittings, maybe that is ok for a vent since it isn't pressurized or going to a gas valve. But both galv and black pipe are easy to find in 3/8" size.

[www.menards.com]

Edited 4 times.

Well I was hoping not to remove anything.

A male adapter doesn't exist?

Once it goes to 1/2", I want to use PVC.

Edited 1 times.

Author: enochian (PA)
"Well I was hoping not to remove anything."

In your first post you said you wanted to insert a 3/8" fitting at the red arrow. That would require removing the existing vent pipe, yes?

The end of that vent pipe has an elbow and it bends downward. So it would be best to remove it so any gas in the pipe wouldn't have to make that bend before going into the pipe that you add. That may not be a big concern but it would look goofy. You can probably put a wrench on that elbow and turn the elbow just a little (quarter-turn) so that it is pointing to the side. Then you can connect a short piece of pipe (nipple) to the elbow. That will give you a male end and allow you to connect the female reducing coupling. But if the elbow turns easily I'd just remove it, then you can connect the reducing coupling right to the end of the vent pipe. You can use a second wrench on the vent pipe to keep it from turning while removing the elbow.

An alternative, once you get a male end to the vent pipe you could add a 3/8" to 1/2" bushing instead of the reducing coupling. See photo below.

Using pvc may be harder than just picking up the iron pipe pieces and screwing them together. This is short extension you will be adding, right? This isn't a pressurized line so you don't have to worry too much about leaks, although it is good to connect the pipe fittings tight. I'm not sure what the code says about using plastic pipe for gas lines, even if it is a vent they may not allow it.

Have you checked at your plumbing supply stores to see what various fittings they have?

Edited 12 times.

To give you another option, there is another pipe fitting call a "reducing street elbow". It is 3/8" on the male end and 1/2" on the female end. You could attach it to the elbow at the end of your vent pipe and then add 1/2" pipe from there. Or remove the entire vent pipe and attach this street elbow to the regulator and you can go with 1/2" from there out.

Edited 2 times.

That last item seems perfect in theory.

Fittings like a reducing street elbow may not be carried in stock at your local plumbing place (Lowe's, Home Depot, Tru Value, etc). But the good thing is you are on the internet, so it can be found and ordered from just about anywhere. That ad I posted was from Grainger, they have good commercial quality stuff but can be pricey.

[www.grainger.com]

That regulator piping coming to it and the vent piping all looks like galvanized pipe to me. For a vent galv might be fine, often you can find galv fittings more easily than black pipe fittings. But I thought pressurized gas supply lines needed to be black pipe?? And that vent piping looks bigger than 3/8", but maybe the photo makes it hard to tell.

Edited 9 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

[www.freshwatersystems.com]

[www.stainlesssteelfittings.com]

[www.pressuretek.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

They are spray painted gray.

Not galvanized.

Thanks for the clarification.

Whatever extension I add, how to I support it?

What is that metal rail in the photo?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.