Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Dishwasher/disposal leaking water
Author: Lindsay1 (CO)

I am not sure if my disposal/dishwasher pipes/tubes were connected properly to begin with. But my disposal will overflow water out of a tube when I put it on and my dishwasher now cannot run without water coming from that same spot! It is getting quite frustrating. I cannot take apart pipe sections as they are sealed together but I have taken apart one section and snaked it- didn't solve the issue. I can send pictures if this will help but I need answers on how to fix this!

Re: Dishwasher/disposal leaking water
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Sounds like it's leaking from an air gar ? Somethings clogged downstream of the disposal. The drain connection from the disposal can be disconnected and inspected for a blockage. The blockage is probably very close to that connection. The other side of the sink drains fine ?

Author: oldearthworm (PA)

I think your leak is at a vent pipe end , there are, I think, check valves available, which would put a stop to this.. I have a dishwasher, but no vent system - works fine . You probably have a ''semi-blockage" in your drain pipes, you may have to install an access..

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

Quite often a clog can exist between the Disposal and the air gap. You should remove the rubber hose and take it outside to flush it out to clear that portion of the drain. That is usually the problem that you are trying to solve.

Author: PlumerDan (CA)

i take the top off the air gap and run a coat hanger wire down to the gd...cut and straightened out.works good at my house...good luck

Author: SHEPLMBR70 (VA)

Some jurisdictions allow you to get rid of the air gap all together. Just make sure your discharge hose is looped (zip tie somewhere if need to) and go right into the garbage disposal. Then you have a spot for a nice soap dispenser or just put in a cock hole cover.

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

Not sure if your blockage is in the dishwasher drain line or elsewhere. But as said earlier those air gaps can cause clogging problems sometimes, depending on whether you scrape the plates and utensils before placing them into the dishwasher. Those food particles are supposed to get chopped up by your dishwasher and then washed out with the dirty water but sometimes they are big enough to accumulate at the air gap. If that's what is happening and you don't want to change your scraping & rinsing habits then I'd get rid of the air gap.

Sink disposals also get clogged sometimes. You or someone helping you will need to figure out where the blockage is happening in order to fix it.

If you can post a photo of where the water is leaking then we can give better advice/suggestions.

Edited 4 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.