Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water heater / furnace venting
Author: nicksab (CA)

Hello everyone

I am back with another issue.

I need to vent 2 water heater and 2 furnace to the roof.
The plan so far is to have a common vertical B vent for all 4 appliance.

I can have both water heater connect to an horizontal B vent located 12" above the draft hood of the WH and would run horizontally for 12' up to the common vertical B vent.

I can do the same for the furnaces. Connect both of the to an horizontal B vent that would run horizontally for 8' before connecting to the vertical B vent below the WH connection.

Would this be ok code wise? I am in California.

I am just really about the 1 1/2 time rules versus the 100 % of vertical vent.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Re: Water heater / furnace venting
Author: packy (MA)

what you propose to do sounds fine..
everything is spelled out here..
[www.hartandcooley.com]

Thank you packy thumbs
Author: nicksab (CA)

Thank you packy. That s a great link. I got my head spinning with the sizing thing. 50000 but for WH and 46000 for the furnaces for a total 192000 but. Looks like I am going to need a big common vent.

Now, I have to figure out if my furnace are draft hood or fan assisted. They are Bryant plus 80 but there is nothing online about it. And there no draft hood on them like the WH.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

It is usually internal.

Author: packy (MA)

follow the drawings..
you can step down the tees as you progress away from the vertical chimney.
without looking at the chart i'm guessing 6 inch but might be 7 ??
they want the chimney to be minimum size. keeps down on condensation.
so the first tee might be 6 x 5 x 4 (assuming the furnace is 4)
the next might be 5 x 4 x 4 and the last tee 4 x 3 x 3.. again assuming the furnaces are closest to the vertical.
but you get the idea.
the 4 x 3 x 3 might even be a galvanized tee not b-vent..
do check the sizes against the charts as i am only giving you a general idea..

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.