Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Keeping dry and clean... working outdoors
Author: ericsandstone (TX)

I am a journeyman plumber working in Crosby TX. I started working at this new site recently. I don't have much experience with working outdoors so, I am looking for some advice on the following: job site is very muddy, cars are parked on unpaved area. This means that keeping cars clean inside is challenging. I purchased a water tight container to put my boots into. I think this will cut down on mud in the trunk. I had the box that came with the boots serving as storage before. I will change boots in car when it's raining but, that will get mud all over the driver's mat area. Mud gets on my jeans and falls off in the car and house. I do not know how to cut down on, or eliminate the mess. When the work is done on some days, the mud is like a cake attached to my boots. There does not seem to be a way to remove it. There is not even a hard surface to bash the boots against to remove the bulk of it. My question really is, how do you deal with this? I thought of using my rubber boots but, they could be penetrated by a nail and, it's more to carry, work boots while wearing the rubber ones to travel through it. I have lace up workboots instead of the slip on type. I also do not know what types of clothes to wear to keep dry and minimize mud transfer. I've been working in the building, but they could decide to have me do ground work. All tips and advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Keeping dry and clean... working outdoors
Author: Pipe runner (AZ)

I would agree that wearing the rubber boots is not a good idea for all day. Bad for your feet for sure.

Use rain gear pants and jacket to keep yourself dry. spend a little extra to get quality.

Have a location where you can strip down and change into clean shoes, pants, etc. so you don't mud out
your vehicle every day. If the job site is a mud disaster take time away till things dry up.

Author: steve (CA)

Maybe boot covers for when you get in your car at the jobsite?

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

A lot of guys that work outdoors get a pair of coveralls to work in. In summer they just wear shorts and tshirt underneath. At the end of the day you can unzip and remove the coveralls pretty easy, roll them up, put in a plastic bag and store in the car trunk. Next day at work just put them on at the jobsite. This way you aren't wearing dirty clothes in the car/truck or when going into your house. Wash them on weekends when needed.

On days that it is raining maybe you can change into and out of work clothes inside the building or under the roofline or overhang.

You can use a putty knife/scraper to slice off and remove the caked mud from bottom of boots. Maybe try removing the dirty boots while outside the car and putting on another pair of shoes for the drive home. I've done this while sitting in the car seat with feet both outside the car. Or by leaning against the car and changing footgear that way.

It's good to hear from a young hard-working American, hang in there and you'll get it figured out.

Author: m & m (MD)

The first thing I install in any vehicle purchase I make are the 'WeatherTech' digital-fit floor mats. Pricey but worth the money. Take all the above advice first, but for any left-over mud/dirt/grime these mats are great. Slip on seat covers are worth the money too, at least on the drivers side.

Great replies all... thumbs
Author: ericsandstone (TX)

Great replies all... I've been thinking along similar lines: overalls with shorts, tee underneath, mud mats, plastic bag for overalls etc. It's great to get confirmation on the brainstorming I've been involved with! I was already doing the change boots with feet outside deal. Am surely going to be busy over time acquiring my new essentials. Thought about the car seat covers too. Mud is just something you either attempt to minimize, or regret cleaning more of later. The putty knife is quite clever also. Thought of needing some sort of scraping deal and did not know exactly what... till a few minutes ago. Happy Plumbing to all.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.