Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Still No Hot Water Pressure
Author: TaniaT (MO)

Okay, so I am not having any hot water pressure coming out of my kitchen sink. I have: replaced the whole faucet with a moen faucet, replaced all the hoses, replaced the valve. Still no Hot Water Pressure. There is no valve on the copper pipe in the basement from the bathtub to the kitchen sink it is about 8' piece of pipe. I have brand new hot water heater and the pipe goes from hot water heater to bathroom sink to tub to kitchen to wash machine. There is plenty of pressure in the bathroom. No pressure in kitchen. I have the valve shut off to wash machine because I never use hot water in to wash clothes, but tested last night, no pressure to wash machine. What is the problem and how can I fix it?

There is a 3 way fitting on the copper pipe from the bathroom sink to tub to pipe toward kitchen and a three way fitting from pipe up to kitchen down to wash machine. No pin hole leak. All the fittings look good. I don't know what is wrong.

Cold water is perfect no issues.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Still No Hot Water Pressure

I was reading that maybe running compressed air through the line. How can I do this? D

Author: stuckinlodi (MO)

From your basement if you can see the hot water pipe where it runs from the water heater to the various places try this: open all the hot water valves in every room (bathroom, kitchen, laundry), set the washing machine for warm water wash and fill it. While the hot water is running from the water heater to the various places feel the hot water pipe, it should be warm, find out where it is no longer warm and figure out why. If the bathroom has hot water flow and the hot water pipe from bathroom runs directly to kitchen sink then feel that pipe to find if it is blocked. If that pipe is blocked then cut the pipe where the blockage is and repair, or replace that length of pipe. If possible, since this section of pipe is only 8 ft long, you could disconnect one end nearest the kitchen and insert a long stiff wire to try freeing up any blockage. Be sure to shut off hot water or whole house water first. After running the stiff wire all the way back and forth inside the pipe a few times you can hold a bucket over the disconnected end and have someone turn on the water pressure for a few seconds to flush the pipe.

It is odd that a copper hot water pipe would get clogged with something. Has there been prior work to the plumbing that could explain your problem? Are you sure there are no shutoff valves somewhere inline? I don't think you need to try blowing out the hot water line with air.

Edited 6 times.

Thank you I will try that when I get home tonight. It sounds like a great idea.

I recently had a hot water heater installed by lowes, like about 5 months ago, the guy that installed it was a terrible messy soldering person, and they had to come out 3 times and fix the leaks. I was thinking maybe some of that soldering got into the pipe and since the kitchen is the last in line, that maybe some debris got hung up in there.

The only shut off valves I have, are in the order. Obviously the main line, then shut off valve for hot water heater then there is one at bathroom sink, toilet, then kitchen. No shut off from the hotwater heater all the way to the wash machine. But I am going to try the hot cold thing. I do know when I replaced the valve last night the pipe was hot and some flow of water, so some has to be getting through.

Author: hj (AZ)

You don't give us much information to diagnose it, but I would have found out WHAT the problem was BEFORE changing the faucet and all the other things you did. Call a plumber.

The Lowe's work might be related to your problem, especially if all was ok before the new water heater was installed. You won't know until you find the blocked pipe (if that is what the problem is) and figure out what happened. If it turns out to be excessive solder then that guy really was messy, take that section of pipe into Lowe's and show it to the customer service people or the plumbing dept manager or the store manager. They should give you some kind of credit for the misc parts you bought trying to fix the problem, like the shutoff valves and other stuff. And tell them to transfer that guy that did the excessive solder work over to the lumber department.

If you are getting a little hot water flow to the kitchen sink you can try this: turn on the kitchen faucet fully to the hot side. Then quickly shut off and on the whole house water shutoff valve (or the water heater shutoff valve) several times, that might dislodge the blockage. Make sure the hot water shutoff valve under the kitchen sink is fully open. You might have to remove the aerator on the kitchen faucet if it gets clogged with stuff when doing this (may be easier to remove the aerator beforehand instead of having to clean it later).

Sometimes the plumber will stick a piece of bread or rag into the pipe to block water so it doesn't run back where he is soldering. If they forget to remove it you can have a blockage. If they used bread it might dislodge, but if a rag is in there you have to take stuff apart to get it out.

Edited 4 times.

Curious as to how you would have found out what the problem was BEFORE replacing anything. If I could attach the picture of my valve, I would. But it was a junked up mess, so was my hoses so it all would have needed replaced anyway. But obviously, the problem is in the supply line going from tub to kitchen. (not usually a problem with copper)

stukinlord, thank you very much for all of your help I am going to do all that you said. I will report back on if I get it fixed tonight. Which would also be a big ego boost for me, since I have never did anything with plumbing before. I am a computer person.

Sometimes the plumber will stick a piece of bread or rag into the pipe to block water so it doesn't run back where he is soldering. If they forget to remove it you can have a blockage. If they used bread it might dislodge, but if a rag is in there you have to take stuff apart to get it out.

If the water gets over ankle deep it's time to call a plumber.....

Good luck!

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

You track down and follow the line from the faucet backwards until you find a point where the flow is NOT diminished and that is where the problem is.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.