Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 From right bath drain to middle shower drain
Author: ulrichm (IN)

Hello, first post here. I read many threads and wasn't sure I found exactly what I was looking for so calling upon the experts.

We ripped out the old fiberglass tub/shower combo with a right drain and will be replacing with a center draining walk in shower. We have a traditional 60" opening but the vent pipe was not placed through the studs so we are unable to use any 60" pan. We will be pouring our own because of this. I felt we had two options: 1) move vent pipe and keep current drain or 2)leave vent pipe and move drain to center. We have selected option 2. We also will be installing a 2" shower drain on the 1.5" shower drain pipe currently in place.

Are we able to cut the pipe above the p-trap, install a converter from 1.5" to 2", run some 2" pipe 45 deg. followed by another 45 deg. that leads to the 2" drain in the center of the subfloor?

Luckily we have access to all piping and nothing goes through floor joists in the unfinished basement.

I can try to post a photo if that is helpful. I will say that the husband thinks this will work but the wife is unsure. I won't tell you which one I am...although you may be able to guess. smiling smiley

Thank you in advance for your knowledge!

Re: From right bath drain to middle shower drain
Author: packy (MA)

picture please...

[www.dropbox.com]

[www.dropbox.com]

Gave two angles so you could see all of it. I can take better photo of basement plumbing in 4-5 hours. Maybe this isn't helpful at all anyways. Thanks for taking a look!

Author: hj (AZ)

Those photos do not show us anything other than how the tub was connected, which we already knew.

[www.dropbox.com]

[www.dropbox.com]

Hopefully these help. We want to move the drain over about two feet.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Do not cut the pipe above the trap and offset there. All you need to do is cut the pipe just forward of the trap, add a coupling , short piece of pipe and a new trap.
Offsetting above the trap is a bad idea for several reasons.

Author: steve (CA)

You have full underfloor access and no structural floor issues to deal with. Why not do it right and replace 1½" drain with 2" and relocate the vent into the wall cavity. Then use the premade pan with either center or right drain.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.