Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Washer/Dryer Listed Dimensions
Author: sum (FL)

Just curious, when you look at the specifications of a washer or dryer, the listed width of the appliance is that a general "rule of thumb" width or is that a "it should fit within a clearance space of this" width?

The reason I am asking is I have a utility room for a washer and dryer and the width of the room from finished sheetrock to finished sheetrock is 56". The entrance door to the utility room has a 32" clear opening.

The washer and dryer dimensions says 27" wide. So both of them should be 54" wide and fit inside a space of 56" with 2" to spare...although hooking up the dryer vent in the back would be a challenge.

But I am wondering is the 27" width a reliable number to go on since I am tempted to just do a online order or best to actually make a trip out to the store to do a physical measurement to make sure?

Re: Washer/Dryer Listed Dimensions
Author: hj (AZ)

Normally, that is the actual measurement.

Author: packy (MA)

if the door is in the center, you have a problem..

Why is that?

Author: packy (MA)

he will only get one machine in easily. the second will have to be lifted up, over and somehow lowered into place.

He did not indicate how "deep" the room was, but if the utility room is only 2' in front of the machines it is NOT much of a room and just using the machines will be an adventure by itself.

Author: sum (FL)

It's a square room 56"X56" so I should be able to fit the washer and dryer in with some maneuvering.

Although I do have two rooms each 56"X56" next to each other. One room is the utility room for apartment A, and the other for apartment B. It was set up so each apartment has it's own washer/dryer and top wall cabinets. The water supplies and electric are also set up for each apartment.

However, I am debating whether to just use one room with one set of washer/dryer for both, and have both apartment share that, and the other room I keep vacant and use it for storage.

I am also debating whether to use those "stackable" washer/dryer which will save room and make it easier to deal access the hoses and drain and dryer vent in the back, with the 27" washer and dryer I have no room to do anything unless I pull them out and climb over them to drop to the space behind.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.