Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Polybutylene pipes
Author: betterplumbing (FL)

Hello,

I have a couple of questions.

1. The current single home has polybutylene pipes. The home built in 1994. I know this pipe has issues and eventually could bring up an issues. My question is that ...when would be good time for repiping whole house? I meant...I guess I could wait until I actually see some issue from this polybutylene piples..is this wrong?
....Would you just start right away to hire some plumbers to re-pipe even though it doesn't have any issue at this moment?

2. PEX or CPVC....Which one would you choose for re-piping, and why?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Polybutylene pipes
Author: packy (MA)

pex for ease of installation.
you don't have to 'swiss cheese' the house as pex comes in long flexable rolls and is easily fished thru walls.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

If you have copper crimps rings and brass fittings on the polybutylene I wouldn't worry about changing it.

Is that something I can simply check by just looking at it? If so, then how?

Thanks,

Yes, if the rings are silverish- greyish then they are aluminum and it should be replaced. If the fittings are gray or copper colored then it should be replaced.

So..

Copper crimps rings
[www.homedepot.com]

Brass fittings
[www.arvindindustries.com]

If I see looking like those two in above images, then I should be fine. Is my understanding correct?

I just googled images and added link..so you can click above to see the images.

Thanks!

Edited 1 times.

Those are Pex crimp rings, they are more black in color. If you have copper crimp rings they will be about the same color as a copper penny.

Hello,

I just took some pictures.

This is the pipe I see in my bathroom.

Please click below to see those images.

[drive.google.com]

Would like to get better opinion based on this picture.

Looks like this is not the one you were talking about though.

Thanks,

Author: steve (CA)

What the pictures show are NOT polybutylene piping. Those are stainless steel braided fixture hoses. I wouldn't be concerned with them until I was replacing the plumbing fixture and them probably would replace at that time.

Hello,

Thanks for your answer.
I just added three more images at different places..
(Please click the same link in above Google link. You should see three added images)
What about those?

Thanks in advance.

Pic #4 looks like copper, #5-stubs coming out of wall most likely copper(scrape a little paint to check) and the trap is polypropylene.

Steve,

I appreciate your comment.
Based on these pictures, what do you think? What's your opinion?

1. So you don't see polybutylene pipes from the pictures. Right?

2. Should I worry for re-piping?

3. Do you agree that I can use them until they starts having some issues?

I truly appreciate again for your opinions.

Thanks,

No repipe. The worst thing I see is the corrugated trap inlet. They tend to get a build up of gunk inside them.

Author: PlumberMD (MD)

Your Water Heater needs to be replaced. Those rust stains dripping down the jacket are red flags

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.