Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Whirlpool tub help
Author: Robranger714 (TX)

I recently purchased a used Koral whirlpool tub.The electrical motor/pump had wiring attached to it that looks like interior wall wiring. There is no visible connection anywhere for an air switch, so I am assuming it is a simple pump whirlpool. That being the case, what type switch do I use to turn the pump off and on? The pump has a 9amp rating, and I purchased a 20 amp wall switch, but I have not connected anything as I can not find any wiring diagrams for this operation. There are of course 3 wires coming from the pump, black, neutral and a ground wire. After that , I am at a loss as to what to do. Do I use a double pole switch because there are not enough connections (2 plus ground) to make this work with the single pole switch I purchased. ANY help would be appreciated as I really would like to get this operational by Christmas for my arthritic wife.

Re: Whirlpool tub help
Author: kingshakabobo (IL)

ANY whirlpool needs to be connected to a gfci circuit to protect against electrocution of the occupant in the event of a malfunction.

A guy I used to work with's wife was electrocuted/killed in a faulty hot tub.

This is very serious business.

It sounds like you care about your wife. Let's not get her killed.

YOU REALLY SHOULD HIRE AN ELECTRICIAN

Do you have a model number and have you looked on line for installation instructions?

Where are you pulling power from?

In general, the switch only breaks the black/hot between the house power and the fixture. So your single pole switch only gets wired with the black/hot (in from house power then out to tub) on the two screws. The neutral/White travels directly from the house power to the fixture (presumably spliced in the switch junction box). The ground wire travels directly from house ground, grounds the switch and then proceeds on to ground the fixture/tub (presumably spliced in the junction box)

But stop:

SOMEWHERE IN THE MIX YOU NEED TO PROTECT THE TUB WITH A GROUND FAULT CIRCUIT INTERUPTOR (GFCI) RECEPTACLE (or GFCI dead front device).

Most tubs plug in to a gfci receptacle that should be placed in an accessible spot to allow monthly testing of the GFCI trip function. The tub then is operated by tub controls

In your case you might install a GFCI receptacle in the junction box along side the switch for the tub. The tub switch would draw hot and neutral from THE LOAD SIDE of the newly installed GFCI. Power goes in to the GFCI in the "line" side of the GFCI and out on the "load side" of the GFCI. The switch and tub are now protected by the GFCI.

There are devices called "dead fronts" that act like a GFCI but without the receptacle slots.

THIS IS ALL ASSUMING IT'S KOSHER TO WIRE THIS TUB ON A WALL SWITCH

This is a basic wiring diagram for a light. In your case the tub is the light. And the power draws from a GFCI

Crude drawing of a switched fixture drawing power from the protected "load" side of a GFCI (note:ground not shown but is necessary)

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.