Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Baffled by water pressure problems after deep freeze
Author: Nolan (ME)

So we had near record lows and windchill in Norther Maine last week, and frozen pipes are nothing new. Most times I just have to take a heat gun, and heat up this little stem on my water pump to get it flowing again.

This time however, was different.

First, the water flows fine, hot and cold, out of the kitchen sink, but on the other side of the house the bathroom's sink and tub at first started spitting out a brownish water, then it ran clear but at a lower pressure for both hot and cold.

I should mention that one side of the house is currently unheated, so I assumed some of the pipes on my side ran through that side and managed to partially preeze?

It cant be ice, right? I mean, if ice were the culprit, wouldnt the hot water running through melt it?

It is an old house with old copper pipes, so maybe some ice formed, and dislodged some mineral deposit which is obstructing the flow? We supposedly have very "hard" water up here from the well.

I dunno, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ps another oddity is in the same bathroom the toliet seems to be refilling at the same rate it always did, even though it too was refilling with the same brown silty water.

Help!

Edited 1 times.

Re: Baffled by water pressure problems after deep freeze
Author: steve (CA)

Remove the aerators from the faucets and check them for debris. Run the faucets with the aerators removed to flush out anything. The tub unfortunately, would need to have the cartridge/balancer removed for cleaning/replacing.

Author: hj (AZ)

Is the water from the faucet actually "hot"?

Ill give the aerators a shot, the shower head too.

ps yeah, the water is just as hot as it always was, just slower.

Thanks Again! thumbs

Just wanted to thank you, Steve. I was so fixated on the problem being some buried expensive problem with the pipes that I never thought to just check the damn faucets.

I did, cleaned them out, got a new shower head, and all is well again.

Weird that the cold caused so much crud to get pumped up from the well, been here 10 years and hadnt seen that before.

Thanks again!

Edited 1 times.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Water freezing inside a pipe puts quite a bit of stress on the pipe, dislodging any debris that may be there.

Author: m & m (MD)

The debris was not from the well but as NC states, from the freeze action within the plumbing.

Author: hi (TX)

On a real cold nite sometimes I recommend a few drops of water running thru the far faucet to prevent potential freezes of the pipes. Where I live -20 to -30 degrees we worry about the pipes except those pipes poorly placed near outside wall.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.