Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Shower supply lines need replacing!
Author: dsclark10 (NC)

My house is old. I recently noticed paint blistering on the base boards in my linen closet. The access door to the tub plumbing showed leaking on the cold and hot water pipes. They are galvinized! Any ideas on what to replace them with?

Your suggestions have been very helpful!

[s1067.photobucket.com]

Edited 1 times.

Re: Shower supply lines need replacing!
Author: packy (MA)

the problem is not what to use to replace them, the problem will be getting them apart at a point where they are not leaking.
i'm not saying they won't unscrew, i'm saying that most of the time they don't cooperate. i usually have to put my torch on the joint and get it very. very hot. in your situation it is even harder to do because of limited access behind the wall.
as for what material.. i prefer pex but you must be able to get a crimping tool in the tight space.
you can always use cpvc just be sure to use metal adapters to screw into the old galvanized fittings.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Those unions will be easy to get apart. You'll need to access the pipes underneath the floor. If you're lucky you'll find some pex that you can tie into.

Thank you so much! I recently attached a photo. I have a reciprocating saw that I can use but again the actual joining of two pipes will be the problem!

yes I can get to them under the floor relatively easey. Thank you

Author: bernabeu (SC)

'Dresser' Couplings + brass nipples = good for another 20 years

local repair w/o breaking a sweat - pun intended

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.