Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Continuous hot water system ignited when taps are turned on.
Author: Bonnie (Non-US)

I recently had repairs made to a cracked mains water pipe. The plumbers cut out the faulty pipe and replaced. In the same area there was a new outside tap installed one month prior, tapped into the mains. The new tap and the Rinnai gas continuous hot water system are all in the same area. At first I thought it was just the one tap that caused the hot water to ignite, but now it seems that both outside taps do this. I had the plumbers back, they had no idea, and said the problem was mine, (it was the gas hot water) and not theirs. They would not listen to me that the problem only occurred following the mains repair work. I'm suspecting something to do with pressure, and maybe the sensor in the hot water box. Please, any ideas would be most welcome.

Re: Continuous hot water system ignited when taps are turned on.
Author: m & m (MD)

What are the conditions that make it ignite? What has to happen first?

Author: packy (MA)

turning on the outside faucet makes the rinai fire?? that makes no sense..

Author: Paul48 (CT)

I'm not a pro, but I believe that is caused by "bounce". The water is flowing slightly outward from the heater, and activating the flow switch.

Author: hj (AZ)

Even if that were the cause, it would turn off immediately when it did not sense water flowing continuously.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Is the unit firing, then shutting right down?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.