Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Studer vents tapping
Author: 657 (VA)

I have never had a problem with a Studer vent.
The house working in I replaced disposal repiped drain line under kitchen sink double trapped.
House has kitchen addition built years ago before owners moved in. 1 1/2" Auto vent under kitchen sink. And in basement I found a 3"&2" auto vent.
2"PVC runs into basement about 20' 2" drain line from kitchen goes into basement where laundry tub ties into line before going into floor. Also found where a repair had been done under concert in basement on this line heading to main sewer also before owners moved in.
OK my problem is my customer is getting a bad smell from kitchen sink. This is periodic sewer smell comes and goes.
I removed 3" auto vent in basement second or third time out. So now 1 1/2" under sink and 2" in basement.
Customer says smell only from kitchen when washing is draining.
Any ideas on a fix? Remove basement auto vent? Remove auto vent under kitchen sink? Possibly a problem with repair done in basement? Have been told kitchen auto vent sometimes makes a clicking noise when laundry is draining.
I have replaced both remaining vents.
Thanks for your help. If more information is needed let me know.

Re: Studer vents tapping
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Is the vent atop a vertical tee with the trap coming into the side of the tee ? Is the sink still double trapped ?

Appreciate your help thumbs
Author: 657 (VA)

Is a 2"PVC TEE standing up right. At top as high as I could get is the auto vent. With 2" going through floor.
Only horizontal is the 2" x 1 1/2" bushing then a 1 1/2"PVC WYE catching both traps. Yes still double trapped.
At my work I was asked if I double trapped this job. I always try to double trap my new work when I can.
Is easier for me to do so rather them hard pipe a continuous waste.
By continues waste I mean using an 1 1/2"PVC TEE at the disposal going down into my single trap, horizontal going to flanged tail piece at bottom of basket strainer, with a PVC 90' And using a trap adapter on disposal outlet and flanged tail piece.
If I remember right, top I put 1 1/2" auto vent. And in basement a 2" auto vent.
Both I have replaced. All this was previously there before I was called out as I mentioned in first post.
Am scratching my head on how to fix! Seems there's a problem using 2 auto vents?
Appreciate your help.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.