Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 convert spout to overflow?
Author: Pipe runner (AZ)

A homeowner wants to remove the spout (no longer used...a new valve has been installed on the opp. wall) and possible install an overflow and attach to existing fitting in floor....SEE PICS

This set up is unfamiliar to me. The water supplies were decoratively wrapped around a stopper tube (don't know correct name?) which you twist and drop to plug the drain and allow the tub to fill. She would be OK not having this feature and install a tip - toe type stopper in the drain.

QUESTION: is it possible to convert this spout/stopper assembly into and overflow? And if not what is the next best thing to eliminate the longer stopper tub but still have a way to snake the drain? My supervisor wants to tell her to replace the tub something she is unwilling to do. Thanks for any input.

[i401.photobucket.com]
[i401.photobucket.com]

Edited 2 times.

Re: convert spout to overflow?
Author: hj (AZ)

That "stopper tube" IS the overflow, so why would you need a second one. In most cases, the spout opening is too low on the end of the tub to be a "good" overflow. Just leave everything the way it is.

Author: Pipe runner (AZ)

I didn't spend a lot of time examining this set up but my thoughts were that there is no overflow. The chrome supply tubes come in from the sides and the hot and cold were mixed and out into the spout. I don't think there is an overflow in this set up.

Author: packy (MA)

we call those 'bayonette' waste and overflow.
the current overflow is integral with the tall chrome 'bayonette' holder/reciever.
the 'bayonette' is hollow and when water rises in that tube it spills down the center of the 'bayonette'.
to answer your question.. yes you can remove that spout and shoe . you can the use a conventional tub waste and overflow.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

There is, in fact, an overflow.

The 'inner tube' has slots in the side at the appropriate height to allow 'hi water' to drain away through its' center when it is seated to act as a stopper.

The 'wrap around' supply connection is very very classy and will be impossible to replace.

Simply replace the chrome supply tubes and 'polish it up'.

or

ps. I assume that the supply pipes will be removed, the floor patched ?!

pps. post crossed with Packy

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 2 times.

The water in the tub "rises" in the "tube" until it reaches the slots o the pull up tube, that ARE the overflow. It was a common method for the overflow when the tubs had "submerged" spouts inside the tub.

Author: NoHub (MA)

If I remember correctly that hole is only about the size of a quarter so he mite have some issues with stagnate water at the face plate.I know you cant use a "2 screw" face plate with those old tubs.

i have actually changed a couple of those for customers. the ones i worked on had a regular overflow hole.
i'm sure this one does.. look how large the spout flange is..

Edited 1 times.

Yup , I have too. That looks to be nickel so it's probably pre 1935...Post what size you find when you remove that spout Pipe runner.

lf all of this is just to get an overflow, which he already has, what's the point?

A standard waste and overflow will never work on this.....that's a hollow tub and about a 3" gap between the inside and outside wall. If you cut out that old filler inside the tub you will be in trouble my friend.

Edited 1 times.

sorry NoHub but it will work. the overflow pipe will fit up inside the hollow space. just need one person to hold and one to tighten the screws. i have done that before..
i believe it is called a corner tub.. BTW, they are the heaviest type tub... gulp..

I think He will be opening up Pandora's Box...That tub shoes probably imbedded the cement floor too!...break out the jack hammer.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.