Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Finding the source of sewer smell in apartment building
Author: thetguy (IL)

I live on the 1st floor of a 5 story apartment building and I am getting a sewer smell entering my bathroom from above. It's not coming from my unit, at least nothing in plain sight. My P traps and drains seem to be just fine. My bathroom has a low ceiling where the plumbing and other utilities are housed. There is a square hole in the center of the ceiling where there once was an exhaust fan. The fan had been removed and now just has a vent cover over it. It is here where the sewer smell enters the room. The smell seems to originate from the area where the bathtub drain from above comes down. It also could be coming down from where the toilet drain comes down, although that is right by the vent hole that I am inspecting through and it doesn't seem to be that bad there.

Here is my question: Is it possible for a bathtub or toilet drain (from upper unit) to be venting gas and yet not leaking water?

Follow up: If the plumbing vent on the roof were clogged could it be venting in the wall?

Additional: What are the chances that a plumbing vent pipe cracks? I can’t imagine something like that breaking.

One more: Do sewer gases tend to vent more when there is more plumbing activity or less?

Re: Finding the source of sewer smell in apartment building
Author: packy (MA)

What are the chances that a plumbing vent pipe cracks? I can’t imagine something like that breaking

that is what i would look for.

Author: jblanche (WI)

It's common for cast iron vent piping to "rot" or rust out. I worked in a 1949 building in the mid to late 1980s. It had 99 public restrooms, all cast iron-piped. We had a plumber there for over a year, full-time, gradually replacing vent stacks. He was still working on it when I left. I remember this well because he would periodically set off a smoke alarm with his torch.

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]
I am not a plumber.

Author: Anonymous User

In properties that have congested plumbing (meaning lots of bathrooms or fixtures back to back) they tend to have more issues with sewer odors. Higher use results in more air being forced out of the venting.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.