Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 bathtub drain too short
Author: ftf (HI)

Hi,

I have an above floor rough bathtub. The problem is the shoe drain is about 5/8" too short to the tub. I live in a high rise and can't damage the concrete. The drain is the position it should be installed so I don't have much room to play with. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Edited 2 times.

Re: bathtub drain too short
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Could you saw 5/8" of off the tub legs, or Styrofoam base ? The overflow pipe would need to be shortened as well.

Author: hj (AZ)

What do you mean by "too short"? Too close to the wall, too close to the concrete, or?

Author: packy (MA)

the san tee does not need to be directly under the overflow opening as it is now.
maybe a new tub waste is needed?
cut the galvanized back a few inches and put the tee back there. then you have to play around with some 22's, street 22's, 45's and street 45's..
i don't have any in front of me but a 22 with a street 22 in it will give you a small offset. it might be more than the 5/8 you need ??
sometimes we plumbers act like we are building something out of a tinker toy set..
you might try using a 'Y' on its side. run the overflow into the back of the 'Y' and use the side with a street 45 in it to come back and angle over to the shoe??

Author: packy (MA)

i assumed he meant the shoe was 5/8 below the bottom of the tub.

Yes it's 5/8 below the bottom of the tub.

I can cut the galvanized a little more. I'll try to do some of the suggestions about using the elbows and try to make it fit.

Author: kingshakabobo (IL)

A what kind of tub is that?

It's enameled steel.

Author: kingshakabobo (IL)

My buddy, with my help, installed one of those with the foam bottom. The thing is a pain in the arse. We fastened it to the framing per the instructions and it still causes him problems. The caulk is constantly pulling away from the wall. He was on a budget but we both wish he had spent the little extra for a more solid acrylic from one of the big names.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.