Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Issue with water lines in Washer/ Dryer Closet
Author: rdwo (MD)

I have 30 year old GE Space Maker washer and dryer set. The dryer is mounted on rack about 8 inches above the washer and the water lines come out of the wall just above the top of the washer from the right wall. I need to replace the set and intended to use a unitized/stacked set also known as a laundry center.

The issue is the deliverers/installers who are contractors from larger box store said they did not have enough space to run the water lines from the wall and around the back of the one piece unit. I have about 2 inches of clearance to the wall. The unit I intended to use is the 24 inch size. I understand this may not be enough information without better photos but would appreciate any suggestions.

Edited 10 times.

Re: Issue with water lines in Washer/ Dryer Closet
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

One could remove the wall covering and run the water lines in the wall, but 2" seems to me to be enough room to run a pair of 1/2" pipes.

I have added pictures which may help.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Ouch, that is tight. You may have to open the back wall up and run new drain and water pipes up to a new location.

Author: steve (CA)

Picture #2 shows a little open floor space in front of the washer. Do you know the depth of the new and old machines? I wonder if the plbg box could be moved back to the corner and if that would give enough room for the hoses, without moving to the back wall?

Edited 1 times.

I think you are right. I was hoping to find out that there is a way to leave the water where it is but use some of flex hose or "l" joint to channel the water to the back of the unit. I cannot imagine that everyone in community with this model condo has had to move their water lines to accommodate a new washer/dryer. Unfortunately, I do not know which exactly units are the same model and may have to just knock on some doors.

Edited 2 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

You hok the units up with hoses so they should wrap around the corner into the box, even if you to NOT push the W&D all the way back.

Author: kingshakabobo (IL)

A friend just bought a small one piece unit that has knock-outs for side dryer venting right about where your laundry box is located.

If you didn't need the hole for venting it might work for the hoses. It appears you have a little room to slide forward.

We have a stacked two piece unit in a similar tight space. I hooked up the water lines before setting the top dryer. Don't forget to buy the mounting bracket made for stacking.

Thank you for the suggestions and advice clap

The main issue seems to be the washer drain line which is the gray line as seen in images. The actual space we have to work with is about 3 inches. My handyman took a look and is concerned that the drain line which I believe is about 1.5-2 inches in diameter will not work properly if bent to go behind the machine. Also to clarify the new machine would be one piece as pictured with no mounting brackets so far as I know. The dryer vent is out of the back into the ceiling or high up the wall, I don't recall which.

At this point it looks like I am going to have to have the water and drain lines moved back farther on the same wall of the closet. I am hoping that can be done in about 1 hour, but I may be dreaming. Plumber rates in my area are quite high.

Thank you for the suggestions and advice.

Edited 3 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

direct replacement units are available

washer # WSLS1500HWW

not sure of dryer #

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thank you for posting
washer # WSLS1500HWW

I have never seen that unit, and as pictured that would likely solve my issue although it may be quite a bit more expensive than the stacked unit models I have researched. I wonder if the dryer is sitting on a custom rack and where I can find a similar one? If I can source that set, I would not have to move the plumbing. Overall, I am not sure I would save money, but the washer capacity would be higher.

I appreciate the help.

Edited 2 times.

Author: steve (CA)

GE has 2 dryer mounting options, a wall mount "GE Spacemaker WMK35" and the one pictured "GE Spacemaker DSDR24F". The dryer is "GE Spacemaker DSKS433EBWW".

Author: bernabeu (SC)

smiling smiley

my bing search: [www.bing.com]

smiling smiley

post crossed with Steve's

smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.