Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 new toilet won't flush
Author: sgull (AK)

I'm stumped as to why after I've just replaced an old toilet with a brand new one why the new one is not flushing. It's just a standard household "Cadet" toilet (along with new tank also). After installing then filling the tank then flushing for the first time, the water in the tank barely empties at all, just very slowly trickles out, and the water in the bowl stays pretty much the same. When the flush handle is operated, he flapper in the tank opens up all the way but the water doesn't empty like I said. If I dump a bucket of water into the bowl it flushes right down fine that way, but as far as trying to flush normally it just acts as I described. Tried several times, it's not working. what the heck?? Any comments appreciated....

Re: new toilet won't flush
Author: steve (CA)

Sounds like there something in the water passage of the bowl, where the tank attaches. Drain and remove the tank and look inside the big hole in the top of the bowl.

Yeah that's kinda what I thought too, so I did remove the tank and looked inside the big hole, nothing there but a hole. Dangit! what the H...!

Did you pour a bunch of water into the top hole?

No not yet. Thought about doing that. I'll go ahead and do that, see what happens. If the buncha water doesn't dump quickly into there, I guess there is indeed something plugging up that passage, down in there where I can't see from the top?? And I'd maybe have to pull the dang toilet to try to find it and get it out?

The bowl itself was a floor display model that they boxed up for me because they were out of stock otherwise of those bowls.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Could be defective if it fails that quickly. Take it back and get a new one.
Best Wishes

"Did you pour a bunch of water into the top hole?"

Okay I removed the tank and poured a bunch of water from a bucket into the top hole. Seems to accept all the water pouring out of the bucket into that hole at a good strong rate, but if I pour it really really fast out of the bucket it starts to fill up and get close to overflowing. I also notice that as I pour there is no water flowing into the bowl from around the inside of the rim... any further comments/suggestions appreciated.

Take it back to the store.

Re: new toilet won't flush thumbs up

I went and explained the situation to management at the plumbing store from where I purchased the toilet. They sent out a plumber to investigate whether the problem was due to improper installation on my part, or whether the bowl was defective somehow. They said if it was due to improper installation they would have to charge me for the service call, but if a bad bowl they wouldn't. It turns out, after the investigation, they had given me the type of bowl that will only operate/flush properly with a pressure-assisted tank. The floor clerk was apparently unaware of that when he sold me that bowl. So they installed a pressure-assisted tank onto the bowl (at no additional cost), and it flushes like a charm now. I'm happy with that because I prefer the pressure-assisted anyway but didn't want to pay the higher price for one. All's well that ends well.

Edited 1 times.

Thanks for posting the resolve.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.