Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Adding gas line outside for generator- NJ
Author: Benzie002 (NJ)

Hello, I purchased a portable generator that I would like to convert to use natural gas (as well as gasoline). I need to extend my 1" natural gas line from the basement to the outside under my deck and add a shutoff and a quick disconnect end. They make a conversion kit for this so I can run one or the other type of fuel. Based on the length, they said I need to keep the pipe at one inch.

The gas meter inside front of the house in the basement has a 1" black pipe that travels about 20 feet to the back of the house makes a left with a couple of elbows and then feeds the main appliances (stove top, HVAC, Water Heater, dryer).

I would like to open up one of the 90 degree elbows and add a 1" tee and shutoff, add new 1" black pipe go through the house under the deck about 5 feet, add 1 90 degree elbow and another 20' of black pipe to another shutoff and a quick disconnect. I know I have to paint the black pipe.

Is this all I have to do? Would this be up to code? Do I need to add a drip tube inside?

I live in New Jersey

Thanks so much in advance

Edited 1 times.

Re: Adding gas line outside for generator- NJ
Author: Paul48 (CT)

It will run gasoline or natural gas, not both. If it is set up for gasoline, you need to find out if a conversion kit is available. There is far more involved with doing what you want, than you realize. And you haven't given us any information that would allow us to help you.

Author: packy (MA)

how many KW is the generator? big difference in amount of gas it will need.
you can probably get some information and recommendations from the manufacturer. maybe get whatever you will need to convert as well as a quick disconnect with the correct ends from them.
a retailer that sells BBQ grills most likely sells the quick disconnects. if the are sized correctly for you generator???
also check with you gas inspector if the portable generator needs to be chained to the ground. BBQ grills that are piped to a gas supply need to be chained in addition to the quick disconnect.
if they want it, you gotta do it or your insurance will be void.

Author: Benzie002 (NJ)

I spoke to the manufacture and they make a conversion kit that will allow it to run on either gasoline or natural gas. because of the distance, they want me to stay with 1" pipe. The generator has a 15 HP engine and it is rated at 8000 watts / 10,000 peak. What other information do you need?

Thanks

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

10KW = 34121.420 BTU/hr
that is not terribly big. about the same as a water heater.
if your gas furnace is around 100K btu, you should be fine with 1 inch. I think I would run 1 1/4 from the tee and reduce at the generator. they do need additional volume on initial startup.
so to be clear.. remove the 1 inch 90 and replace it with a 1 1/4 x 1 x 1 black malleable tee.
the labor will be the same just cost a few dollars more for material. well worth it..

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

10KW = 34121 BTU/hr is correct as far as energy/power equivalence is concerned but, I think, in this case we have to consider the efficiency of the internal combustion engine.

10KW is the rated output of the generator. It can supply 42 amps at 240V. That is the energy output of the generator. Since the typical efficiency of the IC engine is about 33%, it is going to need about three times as much input, more like 100k BTU/hr.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Consider the time and whole cost of what you are planning to do. This includes, checking with local codes and service providers on using dual fuel conversions. Also, and just as important... your home insurance agent to determine that in the event of some issue with your conversion and damages, would you be covered for loss.
Would the manufacture of your generator have a warranty that covered the equipment in the event of a conversion?

Why not just a natural gas 20 KW whole house 100 amp generator with automatic switching? That would be covered by all.

Best Wishes

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.