Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sink design issues, or defects?
Author: giantsean (CT)

Hi All,

I am trying to sort out some issues w/ a new utility sink.

Overall it's pretty good quality - real wood and very sturdy. However I am having some problems with the sink. First off, the hardware provided is absolute crap. Thin, poorly finished metal and plastic UK-style strainer w/ an equally bad overflow. The hole in the sink is concave vs having a flat spot (and the hole is not well centered in the concave portion to boot, and the strainer flange is slightly wider than the concavity so just flops around (or one side sticks up and one side falls in) instead of sitting flat. The overflow relies on a screw to hold the grid through the sink to the overflow elbow. The rubber gasket is hard enough that even torqued to hell I can see zero chance this wouldn't leak. I could putty/silicone the crap out of them but I don't consider this a good long term solution for such a deep tub.

I wouldn't mind to go to a big box to get a better strainer but then what about the overflow? I do not believe they sell any sorts of kit for this in the US. I could try getting a better one off E-bay but then I'd have to mod the tailpiece so that it drained properly, which I assume is code-permitted as long as it's before the trap, but not entirely sure.

I plan to contact the vendor to see if I could get a better made sink but I suspect they will all be similar. I really want to make this work (especially as I can't return it) so appreciate any advice on how best to proceed.

Thanks!

Edited 1 times.

Re: Sink design issues, or defects?
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

What size piping is the overflow ? I might try a quality metallic basket strainer with a dishwasher tailpiece to catch the overflow.

It is a flexible accordion tube w/ OD of about 1". The hole in the sink itself is only about 7/8-13/16 in diameter however, as the tube connects to another elbow which sandwiches the sink in between.

here is a very similar product (from a UK seller) though it appears that this one has a screw in flange. I am most worried that the hole is just too small and that's why they went with the screw-through style.

[www.amazon.co.uk]

I ended up going to the box store and getting a regular strainer which tightens from below, as well as a tailpiece with a dishwasher drain, some tubing, and some random fittings to make my own. This setup would have been crap and now I don't need to deal w/ the vendor at all.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.