Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 problems with bathtub overflow
Author: MRM (CA)

Hello, need some advice on replacing the overflow gasket on a bathtub where the outgoing pipe is not lined up properly. I had some leaks appear in the Garage ceiling, below the tub, and noticed the gasket was warped and not lined up properly. I was able to clean the olde gasket out, but I notice that....

1. The pipe is not lined up straight with the opening [ see 1st photo]. That may not matter when the cover plate is in place and tightened....I don't know if this is a concern, but the tab at the top is a concern for me. I can not move the pipe downwards so that the tab at the top clears the back of the tub, no matter how hard I push down on it [ and I'm afraid with any more force, I could damage the pipe ].

2. As you can see there are 4 small round tabs on the pipe, I assume they keep the gasket in place properly when replaced and the faceplate installed and tightened. However, the tab at the top [ photos ] seems to be hitting the back of the bathtub, near the edge, and does not clear the opening, even when I try to position it centered in the opening. It does not look like it will ever clear the edge even when the faceplate is added and tightened. So I don't think the gasket can be snugged up against the back of the tub to form a water tight seal.

Any ideas ?
1....I thought about trying to cut the tab off completely, but not sure if that is a good idea [ maybe use some sort of adhesive on the gasket where that tab is removed ??? OR make a tab and glue it in making sure it has the clearance ?? ]. 2.... I would have to try to somehow "split" the tab, and remove the top part that hits the tub to get the clearance it needs, but that will be very difficult to do .

[s10.postimg.org]

[s10.postimg.org]

Re: problems with bathtub overflow
Author: packy (MA)

use a dremel tool and cut all 4 tabs off. then use a combination of whatever gasket seems to fit best with a little silicone caulk between the gasket and the tub.
it doesn't have to look pretty it just has to work..
one caution. a little side to side movement will do no harm. up an down movement must be avoided as it may cause a leak at the slip joint below.
penetrating oil on those threads and the bolt so it goes in and out easily. do that before just to make sure..

Thanks smiling smiley
Author: MRM (CA)

Thanks....I talked with my handyman friend living overseas, and either cutting off the top tab only, or all four and then using an acid free silicone seems to be the key, so it's great you guys agree ! Thanks again smiling smiley

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.