Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Plumbing Dehumidifier Drain
Author: Don411 (IN)

Bought a dehumidifier for the basement, and it has a built-in condensate pump that will pump up to 15' elevation. The main waste line in the basement runs along the wall, about 4' off of the floor. Is there a way to connect the dehumidifer to the waste line so that it drains on its own and eliminates the need to empty the drain pan? Basement is unfinished and will stay that way.

Re: Plumbing Dehumidifier Drain
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

It would be better if you could run the drain into a washing machine drain standpipe. If you do tie into the drain in the basement, it will require trap, vent and standpipe.

Washing machine is upstairs. So it needs a standpipe set up like for a washer, is there a requirement on the length of the standpipe?

Author: packy (MA)

you will be much better off draining it into an existing trap that is being used regularly. a seperate trap used only by the dehumidifier will dry out during winter and you will get sewer smell in the house.
a branch tailpiece can be installed to accept the water.
[www.google.com]

No existing fixtures in the basement.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

? floor drain ?

if not, run a tube outdoors and simply let 'er drip

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

No floor drain either....The boiler guys are installing a condensate pump for the new condensing boiler but I neglected to ask them how/where they are connecting it

no fixtures on the first floor?

Kitchen sink which has a DW tee and the lav sink which is over a crawlspace and not accessible from bsmt.

do you have a garbage disposer? if yes, run the DW drain into the nipple supplied on the disposer and run the dehumidifier drain to the DW tailpiece.

I think my best option is to drill a hole in the window frame and run 1/2" clear vinyl tubing outside. It got me thinking though, we are due to have our high-efficiency condensing boiler installed when the utility runs the gas pipe in, and the plumber will be installing a condensate pump....I didn't ask how he going to handle the condensate, whether into the domestic waste line or out the window. What's common?

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

The condensate is acidic and we can't dump it into a septic tank here. We run them into a floor drain that is piped to the outside.

OK, I think I have this figured out. The 2" line is from the kitchen sink and feeds into the main waste line. I added a wye, trap, and standpipe with check valve. Once the catch basin reaches a certain level the pump will run for about 30 seconds and then cycle off, it doesn't pump the basin dry, only maintains a less-than-full level so it doesn't trip the full switch.

See pics below, the tube from the appliance is 1/4" ID vinyl, it hangs about 5" into the standpipe. Let me know if this is OK or needs some work. I tested the check valve under the faucet and the smallest amount of water flows through, even drips, so that shouldn't back up.

Edited 1 times.

No comments on this set up?

Author: exapprentice30 (MA)

The new trap is not vented properly but a constant drip will keep the trap full when the dehumidifier is used.

What is the proper way to vent? I thought a standpipe like this didn't need a separate vent.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.