Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 tank crack
Author: condosam (FL)

had a new toilet installed and 1 day later the tank had a big crack in it, the crack seemed to form at the flange right in the middle of it, and work up to the top by the handle, the flange hole that is where you set the tank onto the bowl.
What would cause this, we were gone n had the property contractor replace the toilet, then a day later this happened I just had them shut the water off until we could return. To me it looked like he tightened the screws to much, would this cause the tank to crack like that from the rubber and porcelain on bottom of tank as it was exactly between the 2 screws

Re: tank crack
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Yes, I would say that a tank that cracks after 1 day was overtightened.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

I can remember my father cautioning me, to not overtighten the tank bolts, or you'll crack the tank. As he said,"if it leaks, it's water, not acid".

Author: packy (MA)

it probably was overtightened.
just return the tank as defective and have him/her put it in.
even if you have to pay for the new tank, it is not worth arguing back and forth.
you provide the tank, he/she provides the labor and forget about it..

yes that is what we did just replaced the tank, but we live in dreaded condo n hate it, but we had their contractor replace it just in case anything happened because we were gone for a month, and after 1 day the crack so it leaked on condo below, now contractor wants $ 375.00 more for below work n we are just thinking that we absorb the new tank and installed it ourselves n asking him to absorb the labor on below unit. Never lived in condo, but have been in construction and real-estate for 25 yrs, general, Dont want to be unfair but dont want to pay for something that not our fault. The contractor is a nice guy n has lots of work in 120 unit building. I just wanted another opinion, our bud has a huge plumbing shop n said same thing as u. We dont want bad feelings either

the management here said oh someone was horse playing up here the only one here after toilet was replaced was our 12 yr old granddaughter for 2 hrs she weighs 70 lbs, and a girly girl, and the management here dosent know anything about construction so he assumed and because we were gone it was some horse play, we just had water shut off and our Son came and took pics, he said the tank bolts were very tight and he is in construction also n has 17 trucks on road. Just dont want to get taken advantage of or take advantage of anyone. We really appreciate the inputs on this. And we have in the past tightened the bolts too much n cracked toilet tank 2 different times in 25 yrs. (Live and learn the hard way)

After 1 day to us the tank was tightened to much..and the below condo work was 1 small piece of sheet rock n contractor labor, and we took care of the new toilet that cracked also paid contractor $535.00 for original job. I also asked for pics of this damage below because there was no dampness or wet drywall in the bathroom of ours, no water damage at all, if tank leaked (the new one) that contractor installed n cracked after 1 day, something would have been wet, at least the pressboard on the cheap stand we have next to toilet wouldnt it ???????? and havent got the pics of the damage either

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

YOU would have had a VERY difficult time to crack the tank regardless of what you did to it. It is supported by the bowl and therefore there is NO WAY you could "wiggle" it, and if you could it would NOT have cracked like that.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.