Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Badly installed wall mounted bathroom sink
Author: plumcreative (MD)

Hi
We had a small wall mounted sink installed in a small bathroom and I think they did the plumbing very badly but am not sure what to tell them regarding how it should be. The valve knobs are not aligned and the hoses look too long an convoluted. They have multiple connections. Also, there are small copper tubes from the faucet that I think should not be visible at all.
Can someone give me an idea what I should tell the contractor and the plumber? Is there somewhere I can get diagrams or photos showing a good way to install this kind of sink.
Any advice you can give would be very welcome.
Thanks

[files.secureserver.net]
[files.secureserver.net]

PS-- tell me if the images don't work. I've never done linked images before.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Badly installed wall mounted bathroom sink
Author: steve (CA)

The hot and cold angle stops should be at the same elevation(cold looks lower). I would use chrome plated copper supply tubes instead of the stainless hoses. The hot copper faucet tube would bend 90* right below the sink and the chrome plated supply would rise up from the valve, 90* to the right, to connect with the faucet tube. The cold chrome plated would rise straight up from the valve and them offset over to the cold faucet tube.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Not that it would help the looks of it, but there is a security chip in that black looking square tube on the hot copper supply tube. It can be cut and removed.

Author: packy (MA)

compression unions way up on the copper from the faucet and solid 3/8 chrome plated solid copper supply tubes would make it look 10000% better.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

The 'rough' plumbing should be: 16-22-8

centerline (CL) of trap 16" above finished floor (AFF)

CL supplies 22" AFF

supplies 8" center to center (horizontal spread)

faucet is then connected using soft temper (annealed) chrome plated copper tube bent to suit and look good

(the faucet 'shanks' can be cut and connected invisibly up high using compression couplings like Packy stated)

img2-2.timeinc.net/toh/i/a/plumbing/sink-shutoff-valves-01.jpg

What you have installed would embarrass a shoemaker.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Not sure what that black tag is there. Guess it might be a security thingie.

Could anyone give me any explanation in terms a layman can understand so I can relay some info?
Like: can the thin copper tubes at top going to faucet be shorter?-- so they cannot be seen. Is that a hard thing to change?
And do the hoses need to be so long and do they need to have a clunky connection in the middle?
Also, should there be threading showing on the fancy p-trap?
Do the bolts that connect the sink to the wall need to be so long?-- it looks like they could interfere with the pipes going up to the faucet.
It all just looks so awful and I can't find any instructions for proper installation that I can give to the contractor and plumber.
I can't even find any good pictures of small mount sinks showing how the plumbing is installed.

Can you show me a picture of what you are describing so I can give it the plumber?

So Bernabeu, it would not be unreasonable for me to ask them to redo this, right?

yes the copper tubing can be cut shorter...the nut end slides over the copper tubing and the lower end slides into the shutoff. these come 12 and 20 inches long. they are made from soft copper tubing so they can be bent to look nice.
these have been around for decades and are readily available.

the bolts that hold the sink to the wall need to be tightened in more..

Author: sum (FL)

Yikes.

Firstly, why is the drywall not finished before the sink is mounted. Your drywall finisher and painting contractors are not going to be able to do a good job due to the interference they will run into. This is a failure of the contractor as he is responsible for scheduling and staging the work.

The faucet above the sink looks like it's leaning a bit in reference to the sink. Is the big nut below even tightened properly?

Looks like what you have are hanger bolts attached to I assume wood blocking behind the sheetrock, and the bolts are too long. You can easily use an angle grinder or dremel to trim an inch or two off them.

Yes there are ways to make this much nicer looking with the tubing under the sink, but it requires skills and pride of workmanship. Your plumber is lacking one or the other or both.

Is that a bottle trap? I hate those.

<--- not a plumber.

Here are some better looking installations.

Edited 2 times.

good pictures

the OP's faucet is side mounted

the installer will need 'bending springs' to make good looking 90s in the tubing

packy's advice, as usual, is excellent

OP: you are paying - trust your gut - if it looks like crap.......................

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Looks to me, a very rough job. I'm sure it works great, or I hope it does. No 2 plumbers would have done it the same way. The sink bolts are long, but who looks under a sink these days. You could have gone with chrome bent tube supplies and shorter copper leads, to improve the appearance. Same with the drain tailpiece and trap assembly. It works... it just ain't pretty.

Best Wishes

wheelchair,

IMO: the POINT of a wall mount or pedestal basin is to have it look 'pretty'

tongue sticking out smiley

Thanks everyone so much. thumbs

Thanks everyone so much. Thanks for the advice and the images.
This will give me something to use in conversation with the contractor.
Have a great weekend.
Cheers,
Amy

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.