Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Replacing Buried Cast iron with ?
Author: Worf6161 (CA)

Hello, I have a problem. I have a 62 year old house with a rotting buried Sewer pipe made of cast iron. It actually broke, creating a huge sink hole in my front yard. The broken piece is actually the bell of a "Y" pipe and the section is about 3-4 feet long. How would I go about replacing this broken piece of pipe, and with what? Cast? ABS?

Re: Replacing Buried Cast iron with ?
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Remove enough dirt so that you have access to the pipe, make a couple of cuts and replace the pipe with a piece of PVC and shielded couplings.

Author: asktom (MT)

Use ABS or PVC, whichever is popular in your area. If you use couplings with stainless steel couplings get ones intended for a cast iron to plastic transition. Outside the building and buried you could also use the all rubber unshielded type. If the wye is capped off on one side and it is an appropriate location you might want to bring a line up to the surface for use as a clean-out as long as you are out there digging.

Can I use the rubber boot coupling underground?

As a matter of fact, it DID have a clean out attached to the "Y" pipe, but, it was buried 4 feet underground and was unknown as to its existence and was completely unaccessible. The problem is that The rest of the cast seems to be in good condition. I do not really want to dig up the rest of my yard if I do not have to. Does anyone know what the code in Southern California is?

Author: asktom (MT)

The rubber couplings are legal in california if they are buried outside the building. The shielded couplings are better, but probably a little harder to use for a novice. Bringing a clean-out to the surface is for your convenience, if you ever need it it will look good.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.