Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 1 3/8 or 1.375 bathroom sink waste pipe
Author: Boburk (TX)

Remodeling a structure built in 1960.

The drain (waste pipe) for the bathroom sink has a 1 3/8ths (1.375) inch OD and is made of brass or copper. Currently this pipe is flush with the drywall and I need to adapt it to fit a vanity/sink when I pick one out. I have been to both of the local big box stores asking for suggestions on how to adapt this to modern sink waste drain pipes with no luck. From my discussion with them, 1.25 is normal for bathroom vanities...so this is what I am trying to adapt it to.

Closest suggestion I got was someone saying to use a 1.25 to 1.25 inch rubber union...but measuring the uncompressed union showed it had an ID over 1.5 inches. A softer rubber (thinner?) one that actually measured 1.25 ID might work (if I can stretch it over the 1.375 inch pipe and put a clamp on it), but I have been unable to find such a critter. I figured I could roll it onto itself on a metal 1.25 inch pipe, slide that into the 1.375 and unroll it over the union between the two pipes and put two clamps on it.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean

Re: 1 3/8 or 1.375 bathroom sink waste pipe
Author: hj (AZ)

That would be 1 1/4" copper tubing. They do make a trap adapter for that size, but it is usually a special order since it was a size that was seldom used.

Well...stopped by two of the local plumbing supply places, and still no go, though one did recognize it as the 1.25 inch tubing you mentioned. One did steer me toward the rubber boot idea I had earlier without any prodding from me.

I have also tried googling the terms you used (1.25 inch copper tubing trap adapter), and have not had any luck locating it online.

Sean

Edited 3 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Are you able solder? If yes, solder on an 1¼" male adapter and use a rubber sip joint washer. How was the original trap arm attached?

Author: packy (MA)

exactly.. one 1 1/4 copper x male DWV adapter. a 1 1/4 slip nut and cone shaped washer will fit it.
in the old days we used a 1 1/2 x 1 1/4 copper elbow with a short piece of 1 1/4 copper tubing sticking out of the wall. then sand paper the chrome off the trap arm and stick it into the 1 1/4 tubing and solder it. trim it with a deep chrome flange and done..
remember, mass doesn't allow slip fittings on the outlet side of the trap so we had to be clever about it.

"Are you able solder? If yes, solder on an 1¼" male adapter and use a rubber sip joint washer. How was the original trap arm attached?"

It's been probably 20 years since I have sweated pipes. I am capable of doing it again. My guess is that what I am looking at is the female 1.25 tube (so the ID is 1.25 inch).

So I ordered a piece that is male 1.25 and threads on the other side. Not sure if this is what you are speaking of or not. Figured when it came in I could take it to the local box store and see if I can adapt that to the standard 1.25 inch waste for the sink.

What is a rubber sip joint washer? I take it you are talking about the normal compression joint (or whatever they are called), but instead of using the Teflon washer, to use a rubber one? Not sure what the adapter is in what you said. If I put a piece of 1.25 inch male tube in and solder it, won't a normal compression fitting fit this? What is the adapter?

I don't know how the old sink was connected...I paid a couple guys to tear out the old and rough in the new...but that is a nightmare for a different thread...

Sean

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Sean, if you have an 1¼" copper pipe stub, I thought that it might be easier to obtain an 1¼" pressure male thread adapter, than to get an 1¼" brass trap adapter. The trap adapter would use the tapered nylon washer, where the male adapter doesn't have the matching bevel machined into it, so a rubber slip joint washer would seal to the adapter.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Nibco makes 1-1/4 AND 1-1/2 Adapters

DWV Trap Adapter C x SJ - Wrot, 901-7

Drainage Waste and Vent trap adapter Copper x Slip Joint, Wrought Copper, 901-7, 1-1/4

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.