Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Is 7" w.c. sufficient to run a 199k BTU tankless water heater across a house?
Author: Milliarde (TX)

I'm planning on installing a tankless water heater in my house at the end of my gas line. It's about 50 feet from the gas meter to the house and probably another 50 feet to the end of the pipe. If I have 1" pipe for the first half and 3/4" pipe for the second half, will that provide enough gas to a 199k BTU tankless water heater?

My gas company told me that if needed, I can upgrade my gas supply to 2 PSI from 0.25 PSI, but I'd rather not do that unless absolutely necessary. And even so, if I do upgrade to 2 PSI, I'd need to get a bunch of pressure regulators so that the rest of my appliances in the house still work.

Re: Is 7" w.c. sufficient to run a 199k BTU tankless water heater across a house?
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

You'll need to do a load calculation. Can you tell us what else is running off the 1" pipe and the 3/4" pipe ?

Re: Is 7" w.c. sufficient to run a 199k BTU tankless water heater across a house?
Author: Milliarde (TX)

We have a gas stove, a furnace, and a fireplace (rarely used). The two current water heater tanks are on it but are being replaced by the tankless unit.

Author: packy (MA)

i'm guessing 3/4 is too small. even 1 inch inside may not do it.
what is the meter rated for? might need to be bigger than a 250,000 BTU meter.

Author: hj (AZ)

7" is all you need, IF the pipe sizes are correct for the various distances and appliance loads.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

[www.youtube.com]

As packy said...you have to total the btus of all your appliances(even rarely used), and make sure the meter is rated for that many cu/ft.

Try not to nod off watching the video. thumbs

Edited 1 times.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

A total load determination of all your your gas appliances are required, so that one cold night when everything is cooking, you want to be absolutely sure you have enough gas.

Best Wishes

Author: 216Ryan (OH)

2 PSI is a lot of gas pressure. People get confused with pressure vs. volume. You can have 11" then an appliance fires and it will drop to 6". As everyone has stated, the best way is to do a total BTU load calc. It also depends how far the gas pipe is running, how many elbows and so on.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.