Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Is this a normal practice in the trade?
Author: cmieure (UT)

A few years ago I started a big project of finishing my basement. I decided that I wanted an additional bathroom for my house. I called a local plumber to install plumbing for a sink, toilet and installed a tub for my new bathroom.

Recently we had a large rainstorm and found our basement flooding. I was able to to track the water to the source which was underneath the tub. After cleaning up the water I found out that the local plumber cut 1' by 2' hole into the floor to install the plumbing for the tub which they filled the hole back in with just dirt, not concrete. When the water table raised due to the storm, the water seeped up through the dirt.

When I contacted the plumber, he stated that this was standard practice so that the pipe can be accessible for service. My question, Is this really the case or is he blowing smoke to cover a big screw up?

Re: Is this a normal practice in the trade?
Author: SwimRunPlumb (MI)

We are required to cement the hole back up in Michigan. In our code it is referred to as "rodent proofing".

I don't see why anyone would not re-cement it back up.

I'm guessing you did not have it permitted and inspected? The inspector may have caught it if it is required in your code.

Author: packy (MA)

in MA we are not required to cement up a hole under a tub or shower.
even if the plumber had poured cement in the hole i think the water would have found a place to come up. around the toilet pipe would be one place.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I only seal the hole if there's a radon system under the slab. I normally just fill the hole with sand.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Building codes vary from State to State and County to County. Was the work done by your plumber inspected by the community inspector? Was a permit required ? Mother Nature is still the best test of any finished project.

Best Wishes

Author: cmieure (UT)

Not that im aware of. I just called the plumber regarding the project and as far as I know he came over did the install and was on his way. I was not aware of needing permits or an inspector that you speak of.

The pipe coming out of the ground is a black pipe that looks more heavy duty that the basic white pvc pipe. It "T's" off just above the concrete floor level, which I assume goes to the main drain, and the top of the main line connects to the overflow. From the dirt surface to the surface of the concrete there is a 6 to 8" height difference.

With that, My next question is can I fill in the hole without new concrete without causing any problems to the plumbing?

Author: hj (AZ)

at most, the dirt is covered with a thin layer of mortar, but none of the 'normal practices" would keep the rising water table from flooding the room.

Author: hj (AZ)

Probably, but it will NOT "Waterproof" your floor.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

YOU elected to puncture YOUR watertight slab.

You did so without the REQUIRED BUILDING PERMIT or design plans.

YOU, as the owner, are the builder.

The contracting plumber is merely YOUR subcontractor.

NOW, you either:

Install a water management system, ie. sump pump and 'catch well'

or

Remove the offending work and PROPERLY repour/patch the hole in YOUR floor

or

Hire a licensed, bonded, PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER to draw up plans for the remediation.

Either choice: bring a bucket of $$$$$.

frowning

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.