Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water from Kitchen Sink comes out from DW drain hose
Author: hanle (OR)

Hello everyone!

So I am already a big plumbing noob in the US, but I am currently living in Turkey and most apartments here are set up a bit differently then what I'm accustomed to looking at back home.

The problem is: When I'm running the water from the kitchen sink, after a few moments water starts to come gushing out of where the dishwasher drain hose enters the wall. (further evidence that I am a noob, im not even sure if that hose from the dishwasher is the drain hose. Anyway its the hole on the left side of the photo that I am posting. It doesnt come out of the hose itself, but from that left hole.)

Not sure if this is related, but the landlord recently had a guy repair the dishwasher and reinstall it, and this problem started happening shortly after.

Any idea at all how I can fix this? Thanks so much

Edited 1 times.

Re: Water from Kitchen Sink comes out from DW drain hose
Author: Patch (VA)

Call the landlord. It's his problem, no? It's also in his interest to get it fixed right away, so I think he would be pretty motivated. Unrestrained water flowing inside a house is one of those things a landlord hates to hear. It's right up there with tenants who don't pay the rent, and neighbors who call, and say, "I think I see smoke coming out of a window".

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

That's a mess. I'd plug that opening behind the dishwasher, and use a dishwasher branch tailpiece under the sink basket strainer. It needs a tubular trap also.

Thanks for the replies all clap
Author: hanle (OR)

Thanks for the replies all. Let me clarify a bit, it isnt really going loosely all over the place inside of the wall. That hole is a pvc pipe that connects to the main plumbing system I guess, and the DW drain hose is just feeding into it.

The two pvc pipes (left hole and where the sink drains into) are obviously connected, but what would make the water from the sink go back up through the left side and not draining completely? My first thought was that maybe something is clogged. I drano'd the hell out of it but its still a problem.

Any ideas? Or I guess I should call a professional haha but im open to any suggestions

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

I. YOu have a drain stoppage
2. Drano, or anything like it, is completely useless
3. It has to be snaked
4. the DW drain hose is NOT connected to the piping, it is just stuck into the hole.

Author: sum (FL)

First of all, you can't do anything about this because this is not your property and your landlord is 100% completely responsible and need to be deal with this.

If you try and fix it yourself, or even hire someone to fix it and pay for it, you are now responsible for this repair and assumes the liabilities that comes with it.

From taking a real close up look at the picture, it does appear there is a pipe opening on the left where the hose feeds into.

Water is coming out of that pipe opening because the seal between the hose and that piping was not done properly. But that is a good thing because it also exposed a bunch of other contributing problems. The hose it too high you need an air gap or at least a high loop. That pipe may run to the right and connect to a vent pipe the flex tubing to the right is connected to. What is the thing on the right where it looks like some tape was shoved into it? Was the old dishwasher clamped onto that? Your landlord should fix this whole contraption.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.