Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 possible sewer tie in?
Author: Douglas5 (IL)

My house used to have a septic system that flowed to the back yard. The previous owner abandoned the tank and put a grinder pump in to move the sewage from the back of the house to the front. I checked with the city and the sewer main is 11 feet deep in front of my house, my basement is 8 feet deep and my house sits about 6 inches lower than the street. The distance from my house to the main is 55 feet. I was wondering if I could reroute my basement plumbing to exit the front of my house and tie directly into the city sewer and eliminate the grinder pump. Also, the pump works fine but the basin has a split in a seam at the top. A plumber estimated $8,000 to $10,000 for the basin to be replaced.

Edited 1 times.

Re: possible sewer tie in?
Author: packy (MA)

sounds like no problem to me.
minimum pitch for a sewer 4 inch and above is 1/8 inch per foot.

Author: hj (AZ)

Your basement piping may be too deep to connect to the sewer system. Where does the grinder pump's discharge go now?

Author: Douglas5 (IL)

Hi hj,
The pump discharges at the street. I have a walk out basement and the house drains to the back so the current drain is 3 feet below ground which makes it 11 feet below the street. I would like to break up the basement floor and slope everything to the front if it is possible. All the fixtures in the basement are at the front of the house and the total distance the line would go is 63 feet from the main stack the the street.

Author: hj (AZ)

The critical dimension is HOW DEEP the piping would be and whether it is above the sewer in the street sufficiently. Another factor is the depth of the branch at your property line since it may NOT come off the side of the main line.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.