Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Stuck slip nut/cobbled P.O.S. p-trap/stub out
Author: Whitehotmagic (IA)

Had a buddy of mine put in a pedestal sink for me like 10 years ago. Replaced the faucet earlier this week, as well as the drain. The P trap came loose from the stub out. i inspect further and see that there is nothing holding this pipe in other than a pressure fit and maybe some old plumbers putty. Not positive if I had the p trap replaced with the sink, so it could be much older.

So basically my issue is, I have a slip nut stuck on the end of the pipe and don't know how to remedy the situation without cutting it off. This nut is obviously old and has had its fair Share of putty, as well as he good possibility of it being epoxied on (like the flange of my toilet is for some reason......) Is there any easy answer to my solution or do I just have to cut it off or cobble it back together like it was before? And if I do have to cut it off, what steps should I take afterwards to couple them together? Pedestal sink btw

Edited 1 times.

Re: Stuck slip nut/cobbled P.O.S. p-trap/stub out
Author: george 7941 (Canada)

That nut looks like it will unscrew. Heat from a torch will soften putty and epoxy and you should be able to unscrew the nut. It takes a lot of heat, as an example, hair dryer heat isn't enough.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I'd make a careful cut with a sawzall , and peel it right off, assuming that it won't unscrew.

Author: packy (MA)

that is a normal set-up. as said, unscrew the brass nut CCW. put wrench on it an tap it gently with a hammer.

Author: asktom (MT)

Just inside the nut is an ossified slip joint washer. Using an ice pick ot similar tool break the washer and scrape it out. Squirt in a little of your favorite loosen-it-up juice (or vinegar) and tap the nut lightly several times. Go have a beer. Come back and after tapping a few more times unscrew the nut. If that doesn't work, tap it lightly many, many times and then unscrew it.

Author: packy (MA)

the washer appears to me to be the old lead type washer ????

Thanks for all the input so far, guys clap
Author: Whitehotmagic (IA)

Oh really???? Lead huh? So maybe I shouldn't take a torch to the nut as I may melt the lead??? Or would I still be safe to? Bout to take another look here shortly and attempt to tackle this problem. Thanks for all the input so far, guys. I do have a sawzall available if need be... If I were to have to cut it, what would be my steps for connecting the two ends afterwards since there will be no threading? Not a plumber by any means, but at least a little handy... Gonna start with some deep creep and wrench first, but if that doesn't work I'm obviously going to have to take more drastic measures

Edited 2 times.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I was referring to making a cross cut on the nut itself. Just enough so that it can be split open and pulled from the pipe. A new nut is all that would be required. It appears that it is brass, if so it might unscrew.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.