Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Toilet leak near tank gasket
Author: mjb4385 (OH)

I recently installed new tank bolts to fix a leak that I figured to be coming from said bolts. After removing and reinstalling the tank (and replacing the tank to bowl gasket), I've now got a leak near the new gasket that I installed. Water seems to slowly dripping from the tank down the sides of the gasket. If you bend down and look in between the tank and the bowl, you can see beads of water on the rubber gasket. Could it be the wrong gasket? Or maybe the tank is just not tightened down enough?

Re: Toilet leak near tank gasket
Author: hj (AZ)

It could several things, even the tank to bowl bolts if you put metal washers between the rubber washer and the bolt head inside the tank.

You're saying *not* to use a metal washer inside the tank (for reference, I didn't)?

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

correct

order of parts (looking down into tank and 'counting' away from yourself):

large head BRASS tank bolt
rubber washer
(tank bottom)
s/s washer
nut
(toilet)
rubber washer
s/s washer
nut

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Doing that is the most common cause for a leak like you have.

Author: packy (MA)

it only leaks around the big rubber washer when the toilet is flushed. if there is a constant drip it is from the bolts/s.
use a nut driver to tighten the nuts. push down on the tank as you tighten..

Thanks all smile

Thanks all. It's extremely difficult to tighten the nuts that connect the tank to the bowl as they're in a recess and difficult to access, maybe that could be the issue.

Edited 1 times.

So I went home and looked again on my lunch break. The leak is definitely NOT coming from either of the bolts. Water is very slowly seeping between the tank and the tank-to-bowl gasket. Could this be an issue with the flusher valve seat?

Author: srloren (CA)

Are you sure you tightened the tank to the bowl enough? Those bolts sqeeze the foam gasket to seal the tank to bowl connection. Caution, do not over tighten it and make sure you followed the instructions from the Union Plumber for the order in which to install the bolts, rubber and SS washers and nuts. Very important! If you follow those instructions you should be able to stop the leak. Good luck

while this is the 'cut' for a Toto toilet, the tank mounting is 'generic'

#5 gives the proper sequence for ANY tank mount using 'through bolts'

Could this be an issue with the flusher valve seat?...
put some food coloring in the tank and let it sit for a while.
if the flusher valve seat is letting water leak by, the color will show up un the bowl.
this may also help pinpoint the leak..

WE use one set of nuts to fasten the bolt to the tank, then the other ones to fasten it to the bowl.

quote; make sure you followed the instructions from the Union Plumber

????? I have known a lot of "union plumbers" who I would NOT trust to give any one instructions.

You have too much time on your hands.

smiling smiley

tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 times.

I'm at a loss here. I took everything apart, bought a new bolt kit and tank to bowl gasket, and put everything together in accordance with what everyone has described above. I'm still seeing water seeping down the tank to bowl gasket. The bolts and nuts are as tight as I can get them without cracking the tank. Basically, when I bend down and look in the gap between the tank and bowl, there are drips of water on the gasket. Could it be the wrong gasket? Could it be a faulty flusher valve seat? Help!!

in order to get you any more information, the problem has to be identified. guessing at solutions can only go so far if the problem could be one of many...

Author: SwimRunPlumb (MI)

You may have tightened the bolts too much, thus cracking the tank? A hairline crack is difficult to see sometimes, and leaks as you are describing.

There it is in all its glory. Ideas? I've grid new bolts and 2 different gaskets.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.