Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Flush valve in one piece toilet
Author: mbachelor (MA)

Hi everyone,

I am trying to replace the flush valve in an Eljer Windsor toilet. This is a one-piece toilet so I purchased a recommended tool that fits into the existing flush valve and catches on a few plastic teeth to twist it out. With my first twist all the teeth snapped off so I now have nothing to grab onto at least within the valve. I cannot budge the flush valve at all at this point. I have tried twisting by hand and banging with a wrench with to get it to at least move and no luck. I also tried grabbing the edge of the gasket and pulling up but the toilet started coming up before the valve even moved. I know some brass versions of this flush valve have a wing nut that secures it underneath but I cannot see anything like that on the plastic one that is currently in place when I look into the valve from the top.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to get this out? I was told to twist in a counterclockwise motion although I think it is just a gasket that fits into the hole and is not threaded.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Michael

Re: Flush valve in one piece toilet
Author: bernabeu (SC)

it IS threaded

if the ears are sheared you will need to CAREFULLY notch the piece until then tap a flat screwdriver tip into the slot you created to 'wedge' it open and free

'google' {jab saw}

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thanks bernabeu! applause
Author: mbachelor (MA)

Thanks bernabeu!

I am not sure I understand where I should make the notch. Can you explain a bit more? Your help is greatly appreciated. Getting this toilet back up and running has been a struggle.

This is the replacement flush valve that is supposed to fit the Eljer Windsor and the one I purchased:

The one I actually received did not even have the small circles at the bottom. I hope it is correct.

Edited 5 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.