Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Pipe Noise with pump shut off
Author: tdilweg78 (CT)

Hello,

I bought a house in May and I've been having an issue with the pipes/plumbing since I bought the house. Here is my situation:

When the well pump turns on, I can hear it turn on and I can hear a noise while the water is running. Almost like a fast ticking noise. When the pump shuts off, there is a very loud thudding noise (dud dud dud dud dud.... dud dud dud dud) coming from the pipes/system. I thought it might be just a loose pipe so I secured the supply pipe (from the well into the house) to the beams. This lessened the noise but it's still very loud. Also, lately the pump has turned on once almost every night for a week in the middle of the night when no water is running. So I ran a few tests:

1. After the pressure tank filled up with water and shut off, I ran water in my shower to see how long it would take the pump to turn on. It took approximately 6 minutes and 10 seconds of the shower running full blast to turn the pump on. This happened at 30 psi.

2. Then I turned the shower off and timed how long it took for the pump to shut off (causing the loud thudding noise) and it took 1 minute and 21 seconds for the pump to shut off. This happened at 60 psi. From what I've read this shouldn't be more than 20 psi from when the pump turns on. (20/40; 30/50; 40/60).

3. I pressed the valve at the top of the tank (I read that if the bladder has burst, water would come out during this process). No water came out.

I have a Flex Lite FL 12 35 gallon pressure tank. On the tank is written "3/4 H.P. Set at 300').

The only understanding I have on plumbing systems, wells and pumps is what I've read online. I know more now than I did before but I still don't know much. Is there anyone who could help?

Re: Pipe Noise with pump shut off
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

The noise you hear is a check valve in the system closing. Depending where it is located it may not even be needed. The tick tick tick is probably the bladder in the tank being compressed by the increase in water pressure.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.