Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Have any Plumbers used these Flex Connectors for
Author: srloren (CA)

For water heaters? I picked this one up at a Plumbing Show at Del Mar Fairgrounds. Need to know if good or bad?

Edited 2 times.

Re: Have any Plumbers used these Flex Connectors for
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Yes, I use them regularly. They are handy on tankless heaters and water stove domestic coils.

Thanks for your input big grin

Thanks for your input.

Edited 1 times.

Author: dan m (WI)

I used them on my 50 gal tank heater with no problems

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Sure, I always connect my piping with flexible vinyl tube.

NOT

Only amateur DIYers would use a shiny s/s braided cover over a vinyl/LDPE tube to connect HW.

? Why not measure and fit actual pipe or Cu tube ?

Answer: because the capability to do so does not exist or laziness has set in

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Not really, like I said I got them at a Plumbing Show at the Fairgrounds in Del Mar CA. Just asking if anyone else have used these and what was their experience. Just doing my due diligence before using.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

yes

they are junk

UNLESS

the liner is either HDPE or PEX

in which case it would be MUCH cheaper to 'hard pipe'

jic:

HDPE = hi density polyethylene
PEX = polyethylene, cross linked

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: sum (FL)

As I DIYer I rely on advice of the pros and I pay extra attention to the manufacturer's instructions.

For water heaters I run into this every time I change out a new one at my rental. Due to a combination of being in close quarters with limited space, or sometimes with tenant belongings crowded nearby in the same closet the WH is in, as well as having to limit water supply shutoff time to the tenant, I too opt for "flex" connectors instead of hard piping in many cases. Now if the shutoff valve to the cold inlet side has gone bad over the years, then I will hard pipe in a new shutoff.

However, if you read many of the water heater manufacturer's installation manual, especially tankless, they all have some sort of a clause saying "NO PLASTIC PIPE OF ANY KIND CONNECTED WITHIN 36" OF THE INLET/OUTLET". I saw that with a Rheem WH and a Bosch WH I installed within the last two years. I called up their tech support and asked what "PLASTIC" pipe means. CPVC? Vinyl hose? Poly? PEX? Are those all considered "plastic"? They don't know. One of them told me I can use the steel braided ones available at home centers. I said those are really vinyl inside, he seemed surprised..."really? are you sure?"

The compromise I have reached is to use one of these.

Available from our sponsor.

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.