Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Toilet barely flushing
Author: Mad addam (Non-US)

Hello and thank you in advance for reading my inquiry and offering any advice regarding this issue. I have recently renovated a basement bathroom. This involved moving the bathtub drain about for feet from its preexisting location. The p trap still remains in its original location as it is the lowest point in the drain Line and is well below the concrete. The bath drain runs just slightly below the concrete floor then into the p trap. After installing the bathtub an the new toilet it was draining fine. A few days later after draining the bath bubbles aarose from the toilet and now it is barely flushing. I noticed when the toilet was off and the tub was draining the water level would rise in the toilet drain and eventually overflow. I also can run the hose into the toilet drain and it will drain freely. Recentlythere has been a lot of rain and the area in the yard with the septic tank is flooded and we can smell sewer gas outside when things are draining. I know ,there are a lot of factors here but any insight would be helpful. I really hope I don't have to break into the floor again.
Cheers, and thanks!
Adam

Re: Toilet barely flushing
Author: hj (AZ)

From your description, it appears that the system is "water logged" so there is nowhere for the water to go, so it acts like it would if the sewer were clogged, but in your case the only solution is to wait until the ground dries out.

Author: Pipe runner (AZ)

quote: I noticed when the toilet was off and the tub was draining the water level would rise in the toilet drain and eventually overflow.

Sounds like you have a clog or as suggested a septic tank issue because leach lines are saturated with ground water.

Did you take any pics of your underfloor rough in plumbing? Did your system properly work before rains came?

check out this website: [septictankcare.net]

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

The easy answer is remove the cover of your septic system. If it is full to the top, your have drain field issue. If you can't see anything.... you have a restriction in the house drain line, that should be addressed.

Best Wishes

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.