Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Gurling sound in kitchen sink
Author: Wcoffman (TN)

When every my cloths washer spins and the water drains, there is gurgling sounds in the kitchen sink. The vertical vent pipe for the washer utility hook-ups is connected to a main vent pipe that I cannot access. Can I cut the connectiOn to the main vent pipe and add a Studor vent in the attic for the cloths washer? I can get to the washer vent pipe where it penetrates the ceiling. The connection pipe from where it penetrates the ceiling to where it connects to the main vent is about 25 ft long. All other toilets, showers, sinks and kitchen sink drain ok.

Re: Gurling sound in kitchen sink
Author: hj (AZ)

Depending on WHY it is gurgling, and the vent may NOT be the problem, a Studor vent may not help and might make it worse.

Author: Wcoffman (TN)

In response to your question as to Why the sink gurgles, I'm assuming that the reason is that something is blocking the cloths washer vent pipe OR the vent pipe somewhere is blocked. Not being a licensed plumber nor engineer I'm at a loss for why the sink does this ONLY when the cloths washer drains. A local licensed plumber has suggested to run a snake through the vent pipe and/or sewer piping. Any suggestions?

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

partially clogged drain pipe. snake the drain from either the kitchen cleanout or the washing machine cleanout.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; I'm assuming

I "assume" you know what happens when you assume. There are many things that could cause the symptoms, starting with a poor installation.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I'd say that is air being trapped downstream of the washing machine drain trap, and it's being forced up thru the kitchen sink trap causing the gurgling. A lack of atmospheric vent at the kitchen sink drain or a partially clogged drain is usually the problem.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

You failed to mention the age of your plumbing system and if has been evaluated with a sewer camera. A mechanical rodding may be effective or power washing the interior of your waste line, before you proceed.

Best Wishes

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.