Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Hot Water Baseboard Heating - Closed Circuit?
Author: rvnmedic6869 (NY)

Does the heating system (propane-fired) need to draw on the regular water line or is there enough in the pipes for the loop?

We are going out of town and I would really like to turn off the main water valve while we are away. But not sure how that would affect the heating system?

We live in upstate NY (NE of Syracuse) and the temps have been below freezing at night, often in the single digits or well below zero so we don't want to turn off the heating system.

Thanks,

Bob

Re: Hot Water Baseboard Heating - Closed Circuit?
Author: m & m (MD)

Your heating system is independent of your potable water system EXCEPT for the cold water supply to the boiler. The cold water feed to the boiler has a backflow device that prevents water from leaving the boiler back to the cold water supply. As long as your heat system has no leaks, the system will maintain its pressure and you will be good to turn the main house water supply off. If your boiler has a low water safety mechanism on it, that will protect it from firing if you should experience a low/no water situation within the heat system during your absence. ( I should add, an activated low water shut-off would also allow your house to assume outdoor temperatures. This is where a wifi thermostat would allow you to monitor indoor house temps and respond to such a situation.)

Edited 1 times.

Thanks, m & m big grin
Author: rvnmedic6869 (NY)

Thanks, m & m. I always turn off our main water supply off when we are gone for more than a day or two.

The heating system has no leaks that I can detect and I'm glad you mentioned the low water safety mechanism. I need to find out if it has one. Is there an easy way to check? I think I have the original boiler owner's guide We are the second owner of the house, built in 2003.

I appreciate your fast reply!

Author: m & m (MD)

Your heating system is independent of your potable water system EXCEPT for the cold water supply to the boiler. The cold water feed to the boiler has a backflow device that prevents water from leaving the boiler back to the cold water supply. As long as your heat system has no leaks, the system will maintain its pressure and you will be good to turn the main house water supply off. If your boiler has a low water safety mechanism on it, that will protect it from firing if you should experience a low/no water situation within the heat system during your absence.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Hot Water Baseboard Heating - Closed Circuit?
Author: hj (AZ)

A Wifi thermostat will let you know the house temperature is dropping, but, unless you have someone who can get into the house, there is nothing you can do about it.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.