Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 condensate pump questions
Author: ddbbp (KS)

I had a Little Giant brand small condensate pump collecting dust and I figured I would hook it up to my dehumidifier today using 3/8 ID vinyl tubing.

Couple of questions:

1. Just to confirm, 3/8 id is correct? I ask because it was pretty snug on the barb(probably don't need a clamp).

2. To winterize: Can I just vacuum the tubing from outlet and the remaining contents of the reservoir or do I have to take it all apart and drain it manually?

3. The pump had a power cord attached. There was also 2 small gauge wires on the things dangling. I am assuming this is for a safety switch of some kind and can just be left unused?

4. The pump states it has 15' max of head. My tubing runs horizontally at groundlevel with the pump for about 12
and then is routed upward to a utility sink coming in close to the 15' max. Do I need a loop/trap at the highest point? (The outlet on the pump mentioned a check valve so I assume water flowing back to the pump making it short cycle is not possible.)

If you read this far about my dehumidifier drain, I thank you for your time!

Re: condensate pump questions
Author: packy (MA)

1) 3/8 is correct
2) you can or you just pour a little antifreeze in it and let it pump thru..
3) ignore the wires they are as you suspected.
4) i will pump more than advertised. (yes it has a built in check valve)

Thanks packy thumbs
Author: ddbbp (KS)

thanks packy...

one other question... I have the hose from the dehumidifier inserted into one of the holes in the pump. No fitting.

Shouldn't that be secured with a fitting so it doesn't fall out or interfere with the float?

Edited 1 times.

Re: condensate pump questions
Author: packy (MA)

no.. i usually cut the bottom of the hose or the plastic pipe at a 45 deg angle and let it set on the bottom.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.