Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Is Flushometer Necessary . . . ?
Author: Corvinus (GA)

I'm designing a new bathroom in my house and my taste has me often incorporating the old with the contempory. I have a wall-mount toilet, a Kohler K-4325-G9 with top spud (and I really like the asthetic of it not touching the floor) and a flushometer is recommended for this toilet, however, (keeping in mind I have a tight budget for this renovation) can I, instead of using a flushometer, use an old Thomas Crapper Valveless box, the kind that sits high up on the wall and has the pull chain? Will the gravity of a box sitting so high above the bowl be enough to actuate an efficient flush? I was told by one of the guys at Lowes that it should work just fine with that toilet, but I'd rather get other informed and experienced opinions from others before I spend anytime going in this direction.

Re: Is Flushometer Necessary . . . ?
Author: packy (MA)

that's a good question...
kohler does make a high tank toilet. whether it would work on a wall hung-flushometer type ???

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Gotta love those people at Lowes. They offer advice without having to suffer the results such advice. Are you going to use a 3.5 gallon tank or a raised 1.28 gallon raised tank? Toilet bases made for flushometers will not work as well with tanks. The same would apply to toilet bases made for tanks, will not work with flushometers.

The risk becomes yours on a low-budget project.
Let us all know of your results.
Best Wishes

"Are you going to use a 3.5 gallon tank or a raised 1.28 gallon raised tank?"

I was going to build my own custom tank to go above, and can be just about any dimension we want. what would be the difference between the two? I'm guessing the larger capacity tank would provide a more adequate flush. I've been pricing toilets and tanks and I have not found anything old or new that I can fit into my budget, and I haven't found a wall mount toilet with the high tank configuration either. what sort of problem might one encounter using a tank witha wall mount toilet with top spud?

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

our sponsor sells these... will they work for what you want ??
give them a call...
[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Lol, seriously? I'm not going to restate my question or the context in which it was asked. You might as well have posted a link to a snorkel manufacturing company and asked, "will that work for you . . . ?"

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Well besides the custom tank with fill valve, you will need 2 spuds with 1-1/2 off-set tubular brass pipe to drain the tank and fill the toilet base. Ya might need a long cable to activate the flush cycle unless you go with an autoflush device.

Best Wishes

Author: dcplumber (CA)

What a ridiculous idea to start with! And how are you going to supply water to your "box"? You can get everything you need from the guys at Lowe's.....including the top spud escutcheon. Good luck!

Author: hj (AZ)

Probably better would be 1 1/2 x 1 1/4 spuds with a 1 1/4" flush pipe.

Author: srloren (CA)

Why would you suggest 1 1/4" tubing. Most low flush toilets work on the principal of large volume of water and large opening in the bottom of the Tank (I think it is called a Douglas Valve) to flood the waste down the drain. I would think that 1 1/2" tube would be better for that scenario. The other comment I have is that toilets and tanks are designed to work with each other and one should be careful about customizing these systems.

Author: MisterFixIt1952 (OR)

I just love the people who say no, you can't try something different. Why... well, because, that's why. I like your idea but truthfully, it will be an experiment. But I think a good one. Toilets typically flush with a pretty good force because the tank empties quickly into the bowl through a large opening at the flapper valve. Not sure but if memory serves me, it's over 2", possibly as much as 2-1/4. Also you need to keep the water volume down to 1.6gal or less to be legal.

That being said. with a high mount tank and a 1-1/4 or better yet a 1-1/2" down pipe. you would have quite a bit of head pressure to your flush. It might just work. If nothing else it would be pretty retro looking. A flushometer for a wall hung toilet uses a lot of water really fast and requires a large main pipe into the house. A rarity for a residential home where the average size pipe from the meter is 3/4, maybe 1". Most commercial inlets are 1-1/4" or better and that's for a small building.

If you have a builders recycling center in your city you might pick up a wall hung toilet for cheap. I bought 2 new ones for about $30 each. I also bought the carriers for $15 each. All you can do is experiment and use some ingenuity. You might try using a power flush tank from a lowboy toilet.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.